That Time I Lived Like A Medieval Peasant For A Week

Experimental Archaeology is the scientific study that attempts to generate and test archaeological hypotheses, usually by replicating or approximating the feasibility of ancient cultures performing various tasks or feats. 

I could go on for hours about the debate there is among archaeologist about whether or not this is an actual scientific field or just historical reenactment. But that would open up an endless snake pit that I'd rather not be a part of.

Let's say that I respect both the scientific aspects and the dedication of both experimental archaeologists and historical reenactors.

Storytime!! 

 So, last August I had to privilege to spend a week with an experimental Archaeologist, John, who was trying to reconstruct an early medieval farm in the Highlands of Scotland. I knew him through a mutual friend of ours, and since I had followed his previous work for years, he invited me to come to live with them for a week.

It was nearing the end of summer so they could use a pair of extra hands around the farm, and I was happy to oblige. Now, the Highlands are stunning. Even on my journey to the farm, I had to stop several times just to take in all the splendour the mountains and moorlands had to offer.

The closest village was about 7km downhill from the farm. 7km that we had to walk. Yes, walk, as soon as his wife picked me up she welcomed me with open arms then proceeded to ask if I was ready for my medieval week. Sure, I was ready.

.....spoiler alert, I wasn't ready.....

Allow me first to explain a little bit more about this farm. The oldest foundations probably date back to the 14th century, in which the relatively warm climate in Europe and less severe winters allowed agriculture to be more productive. Still, it was not very common in high-lying areas such as the Highlands but the way this farm was located made possible to have pretty extense outfields between the hills on one side, and the small stream on the other.

John's leading theory was that the ideal location must have been the main reason for the farm's continues use throughout the centuries. Which brings me to the second point I want to address, this farm had been heavily modified throughout the centuries. The foundation of the main building was original, but the wattle and Daub walls, roof and extended shielding-grounds next to the farm were added in later. For John, this wasn't a problem. He had just taken off the roof and replaced it with a straw roof like it would have been in the 14th century. On top of that, he had removed all the walls within the farm, bringing it back to the crook house structure it would have been originally.

A Cruck or Crook frame is a curved timber which is one of the two that supports the roof of a building which was mainly used in the Middle Ages of England

 And, yes, humans and animals lived in the same building. It was where people ate, slept, cooked, etc. This might seem appalling by today's standards of privacy, but back then, it was a matter of safety and convenience. 

 Firstly because wild animals roamed the countryside and Scotland still had wolves and bears in the forests. They can easily take a pig, cow or chickens. And the loss of any animal would be a disaster. So, to avoid that they were inside your house at night.

Now, John and his wife live there basically like the people back then would have lived (although they don't wear costumes). They have a horse for ploughing the two fields and four chickens for eggs. And now an extra pair of hands to help bring in the harvest.

And oh boy.....it is not as cracked up as I thought it would be.

With no electricity, running water, no Wi-Fi and far removed from civilization your daily life exists of making/fixing your tools, harvesting your food, preparing said food, eating the food, making sure mother nature won't kill you in your sleep..or the roof collapses onto you. Rinse and repeat.

We woke up every morning at dawn, got dressed and ate some homemade bread with an egg and ale while discussing what had to be done that day. Which is another thing, when you have to do everything by hand, there are little things you can do in one day.

Just harvesting and storing the wheat and barley took us nearly two days. I spend six hours weaving a basket from straw. Things take time, way more time than you're used to. Which makes you realize how fast life goes with all the modern equipment we have. I usually vacuum my apartment, while my clothes are being washed and it's finished within an hour. Washing clothes by hand, in a river takes at least an hour and then you still have to let it dry.

It makes time slow down, and forces you to appreciate the little things in life. Like how comfortable sleeping on an actual mattress is. But seriously, I had a wonderful week living like a Medieval peasant, and it made me have so much more respect for the lives people lived back then.

And for those of you who are wondering if John and his wife always live like that. No worries, their actual house was being built not far from the farm. Filled with all the luxury of the 21st century, and the farm would become a place for John to conduct historical experiments.

A/N: As always thank you for reading, and I hope you all have a lovely weekend.