Chapter 27

"Now, this is going to be our last day here because tomorrow in the afternoon we're leaving," Ben reminded Didith of their schedule.

"Aw! Can we stay for another day?" Didith pleaded.

"I hope we can, but we have work and only filed for two days of leave. Thanks to Saturday and Sunday, we have four days of vacation," he continued and put his bottle of water on the long table beside the sofa. Atop the table is a 35-inch TV securely hung on the wall.

"And since today is a Saturday, expect plenty of tourists from around the world to join us in our adventure," Ben followed it with a big laugh.

"I'm sure of that. But what I want to do today is to go to the different stores around here and buy stuff I can give as souvenirs," Didith said as she was getting the two foldable bags she brought with her.

"Let's get started but first, breakfast because I know you can't live without it," he grabbed Didith's left hand and walked to the door.

They roamed around the shopping district of El Nido and hopped from one stall to another. Didith had the most fun looking at the different souvenirs. She bought local shirts, fridge magnets, key chains, decors made from local produce, scarves, and other things she fancied. 

The excitement and awe made their stomachs feel full. It was already four in the afternoon when they noticed that they hadn't eaten yet after breakfast. Not feeling the need to eat a full meal, they opted to have coffee at Gusto's, which is known to have the best coffee in town. They also serve waffles, crepes, and pancakes.

"I can't wait to give out these souvenirs!" Didith started to put name tags on each of the items she bought. 

"Good thing you have me to carry your heavy bags," Ben said and went to the bathroom. He changed into a new shirt and walking shorts.

"I know," she gave him a sweet smile.

"I'll let you finish that while I get a short nap, okay? Wake me up when you want to have dinner so we can go out." 

"Go ahead. I need to arrange these properly in the bags to not look bulky," Didith said.

It was already eight when Ben woke up. He must have been so tired shopping earlier that his short nap turned into a three-hour sleep. But where's Didith? He got out of the bed and put on his slippers. 

There she is, sprawled on the floor with a throw pillow on one of her legs. Under the long table are the bags. She neatly tucked the souvenirs inside.

She's knocked out, he laughed in his thought.

He was about to carry her up when he noticed a notebook on the sofa beside her cell phone. He opened the first page and recognized that it was a diary. 

Does she still write a diary? he asked himself. He had seen one of her diaries before. This is new.

 He tried to turn another page but stopped. No. I can't touch it, he scolded himself

He stood up and sat on the bed. 

I'll just take a quick look, he promised. But the pages seemed to lure him to turn on the next, and the next, until he finished reading it up to her latest entry.

He put it back on the sofa, knelt beside Didith, and stared at her with loving eyes, long and deep. He stroked her hair which made her move her head, smiled, and then, slowly picked her up from the floor. She half-opened her eyes and murmured, "Ben," and closed them again.  

Another hour and Didith finally woke up. Ben is on the veranda.

"Hey, what time is it?" she asked. He turned around.

"Good morning," he teased her.

"What?" Didith jumped out of bed.

Ben laughed. "I'm sorry. It's only nine-thirty."

"You! But why didn't you wake me up?"

"Because I know you're tired," he said.

"Wait. Did you carry me from the floor?" 

"The room boy did," he teased her again.

"No way!" she screamed.

"Of course, not! I did. I wouldn't let other guys simply carry you," Ben seriously said.

Didith looked at him, "I-I thought so."

Silence.

"Um, are you hungry?" he broke the silence.

"A little," Didith said. Her stomach is making rumbling sounds already.

"Wash yourself first and then we'll head out," Ben ordered her.

The resto bars are full. They made a quick order, ate in a hurry, and returned to their room.

"It's so busy down there," Ben said. He took his toothbrush and went to the washbasin.

"I want to sleep again," Didith muttered. 

When Ben was done, she darted to the bathroom. She closed the door and changed into pajamas.

Ben was already in bed reading a book when she got out.

"Not sleepy yet?" she asked.

"I am, but not so much," he replied.

"Okay, I'll continue my sleep." She opened the blanket wide and started to slide in.

"Didith," Ben whispered as he faced her.

"Yes," she whispered back.

"I love you, too."

___________________________________________________

Thank you for reading.

Enjoy!