Chapter 2

My next class is at 1:00 p.m. Some dormmates and I were waiting for a ride when Ben came.

"Hey, Didith. Do you also have a class?" he asked.

"Yes, at PhySci (Physical Science Building). Chemistry Lecture," I answered. He had with him a gray knapsack and a coin purse in his left hand.

When the jeep arrived, he sat beside the driver. I sat in the middle part at the back. I was about to pay for my fare when I saw him in the front mirror signaling that he'd pay for us. So as not to embarrass him, I smiled and nodded whispering thank you.

Whoa! So that's a snob? I don't think so. Suddenly, my bad impression of him was gone. Just like that. Pfft!

My classes ended at 5:00 PM. I went to the canteen to buy a snack before going to my room when I saw Teresa in the lobby.

"Didith, for how long have you been friends with Ben?" she asked.

"Ahm, just earlier. We were introduced by Tony," I answered.

"I thought you've been long-time friends because I saw him paying for your fare. In our three years as dormmates, I've never known him to do such," she continued.

I didn't answer because I wasn't sure what to say. It made me feel uncomfortable to even look at her. She slowly went inside the corridor and left me. Her room is on the left wing. Mine's on the right.

But what's that all about? She seemed mad at me or something. Well, that's how I felt.

Was she jealous because Ben is friendly to me? Should I be wary of her?

Those were the questions in my mind. It bothered me for a while but let it pass as I didn't want to think ill of her.

Back to Ben...

I considered that meeting as one of the boy-meets-girl types. I proceeded with my usual thing. It didn't enter my mind that it would be followed by a much longer conversation.

But it was.

I had just finished my dinner and decided to go back to my room when I saw Ben coming out.

"Hi, Didith," he greeted me casually.

"Hello," I simply answered.

"Um, would you like to join me for dinner?" he asked.

I wasn't able to answer right away.

"I'm already hungry but my roommate Andrew is still at their frat meeting," he continued talking.

"I'm sorry but I have finished mine," I said.

"It can't be helped. No worries. But can you stay here with me while I wait for him?" he pleaded.

"Sure. I have nothing to do anyway."

He did most of the talking and I just listened, laughed, and smiled at his stories. Then all of a sudden his tone became serious and said, "You know, Didith, I like you because you are not pretentious."

So much for compliments, huh? Believe me, I didn't know what to say. I was so dumbfounded I only smiled. Wait, I think I said, "Really?"

But I considered that night as just one of those nights I had with my friends. I presumed that he needed someone to talk to that starry night.

But guess again. It was a hot, sunny noon. I was awakened by a knock in my room. It was Amy, my wingmate.

"Didith, someone called out your name through the Intercom," Amy said.

"Thank you. I'll go and check," I said as I was going down. It's a double-decked bed with me at the top.

I rushed outside still in my walking shorts. You're right. It was Ben, sitting at the newspaper table. He saw me peep through the corridor.

"Didith, I was the one who called you," he half-whispered while waving.

"Hello," I smiled.

"Have you taken your lunch yet?" he asked.

I was about to say no but he continued with, "Come, let's take our lunch together."

Though surprised, I said yes and motioned to him that I'd just change for jeans.

That was the first time I had lunch with him. And it was followed by a dinner, and breakfast, and more lunch, dinner, and breakfast. It became our daily routine which both of us didn't realize (I think).

So when everybody in our dormitory noticed our closeness, they sort of made a love angle on it and teased us. My wingmates were curious about how we became close. They were telling me that I made it. I didn't know what they meant by that. But an old resident and batch mate of Ben told me that he is the type of a guy who doesn't spend much time in the lobby. There were a few times he would stay but very seldom. They noticed that with me, Ben is having more time downstairs. I told them that it was because I would oblige him to watch TV programs once in a while, and sometimes, we would just stay and talk.

The truth is, I never thought he would like talking to me, much less smile at me. I thought of him and our first meeting as one of the ordinary things. But the fact that we have become closer and more comfortable with each other made me think that there's something more to it. It led us to the so-called 'friendship.' (Or, that's what I thought it was.)

And who would ever think that we'd become friends? Not our dormmates, for sure.

___________________________________________________

Thank you for reading.

Enjoy!

Your comments/feedback are welcome.