Dream Walker and Home Arrival

Ivory felt something pushed against her and she realized it was Runningpaw. He had prodded a paw against Ivory's ribs and his gaze was bearing down on her. She blinked open her eyes and rose to her paws, careful not to wake up Tony.

"Any reason you woke me up this early," asked Ivory as she stretched out, arching her back a bit and yawning to show her teeth.

Runningpaw gave a vigorous nod. "Yes. Something really strange happened last night," he confessed.

Ivory shot him a sideways look. "What happened last night?" She had been awake through the night and she hadn't seen anything.

Runningpaw looked around to make sure no one was listening before he leaned forward. "I had a dream last night but it wasn't my own."

"What do you mean it's not your own," echoed Ivory in shock as the fur along her spine stood on her end.

Fear shown in Runningpaw's eyes. "It was Tony's dream. I saw what he saw! This isn't normal."

Ivory lowered beside him and stretched out a wing and held him close. "It's alright, calm down. What did you see?"

Runningpaw took in a deep breath. "I saw him watching you die. I also saw him being killed by the bear. This isn't the first time it happened either. I've walked in dreams and talked to others. I don't understand why it's happening?"

Ivory licked him between the ears. "I don't know why it's happening. However I do think that it could be a mutant ability."

"But what if I don't want it to be a special power," asked Runningpaw as his voice rose a bit.

Ivory blinked her eyes in sympathy. "We don't all the time get what we want," she pointed out as she bobbed him on the muzzle. "However I have some friends that can help you through this, if you come back to the base with us."

Runningpaw drew away from Ivory and shook his pelt before coughing heavily. "I wouldn't fit in there. I'm better off in the forest where I wouldn't spread my contagion everywhere."

A growl rolled in the back of Ivory's throat. "That's nonsense! You will be welcomed there, whether you're a mutant or not."

Runningpaw looked like he wanted to argue but before he could Ripple stirred and lifted his head, his fur sticking up atop his head. Once his eyes focused he looked to Runningpaw. "What's the runt doing awake?"

Runningpaw's ears shoved forward but before he could say anything Gorse rose to his paws and butted his head against his brother's shoulder. "Easy Ripple. Runningpaw is our friend now."

"Yeah he saved my life," barked Tony as he rose to his paws and shook a bit as he rose to his paws. He blinked his hazy eyes and strode toward Runningpaw, standing between him and Ripple. "And anyone who wants to argue that can face me."

Runningpaw sniffed gratefully. "Thank you Tony. How are you feeling?"

Tony looked down at his chest with the pulp coming out a bit around the edges of the leaves and spider webs. "Much better than last night, thank you."

Runningpaw smiled and padded toward the entrance of the overhang. "So can we travel to the 'base' now?"

Ivory gave a chuckle and nodded to the energetic and young pup. "Alright. Let Tony and I lead the way."

Tony lumbered forward, much slower than usual with Ivory at his side. Runningpaw was right behind them with excited, glazed eyes. He kept sniffing as he looked around and Ivory knew that he would probably get along with Asphalt and Kestrel. The three would make a good team, if they'd all get along.