“I remember. But it doesn’t mean you can’t represent the college that accepts you, right?”

            “What college is going to want to accept me, Wes? My grades are pathetic and atrocious!”

            “Your grades might be, but I know you Anna. You’re the smartest and most determined person I know. The only reason why your grades spiralled down a bit was because of Olympic preparations.”

            I stopped crying and sniffing. Then I retorted, “Wes, I’m not gonna do college gymnastics. What kind of elite gymnast goes from the Olympics to freaking college gymnastics?”

            “Anna, wait.”

            “I’m sorry, Wes, I got to go.”

            “Anna, I love you.”

            “Goodbye, Wesley.”

             I was just so angry; at everything and everyone. I was even mad at Wesley, who’s been my best friend and boyfriend for as long as I can remember.

            I ran out of my room. I didn’t want to see Rayna. Still in my gym clothes, I decided to run for awhile, clear my head. It was pretty dark, so I didn’t feel as comfortable running but it beats being interrogated by Rayna.

            I’ve never really thought about college gymnastics... But I guess it’s better than no gymnastics at all, right?

            Again, my point stands: what Olympic hopeful gymnast stoops to college gymnastics?

            Needless to say it wasn’t exactly clearing my head since I was having a debate in my head.

            The campus was nearly emptied. I slowly began to slow down. When I finally stopped, I realized I was lost. How stupid of me.

            The moment I saw what looked like a beam, I mounted it. It has been so long since I’ve stood on a four inch wide material. It was the border of our school. One side was the school campus, the other was a forest.

            Either way, I was standing on a meter tall concrete that felt exactly like a beam.

            I did a leap. Steady. Let’s not get too adventurous. I tried a cartwheel, then a side summie, then a back handspring.

            When I warmed up the basics, I did my entire would’ve-been Olympic routine. When I was doing my layout series, I fell on the last layout, landing hard on my ass.

            I had that move since I was 10, how could I have not hit it? My ass hurts like crazy.

            I tried to get up, but the pain on my butt was too stinging. I cursed silently. Gymnastics really was over. My life in gymnastics, all of it was over.

            Maybe mom was right.

            Or maybe Wes was. What if I’m not done peaking? That bloody replica of a beam wasn’t even properly chalked anyways. I could probably go to Worlds one last time. I could forget about the 2012 Olympics, but I guess Worlds in 2013 wouldn’t be out of the picture.

            If I wanted to compete in Worlds, I had to get back to training right away. A growth spurt was out of the question. If I grew any taller, or got my period any time soon, I’d lose some of my best skills.

            And for a power gymnast, skills were all I had. 

            I sulked and dragged myself back to my dorm. To my surprise, Alexa and Mia were there too!

            “Where were you?” Rayna flung her arms around me.

            I chuckled, “Sorry mom.”

            “Cut the small talk. Okay, here’s the deal. I’ve been a bitch to you since you came, but if you joined the squad, we could probably be able to win competitions,” Alexa said.

            “And because she’s been a bitch, she’s sorry. She was only being a bitch because she was suspicious and jealous,” Mia piped in.

            “Jealous? Of what? My social awkwardness? Yeah, that’s totally to-die-for,” I snorted.

            Mia frowned, “Because of Jeremy, of course.”

            “Alexa likes Jeremy?” I squinted.

            Alexa rolled her eyes, “Please, Mia. That was freshmen year. He’s obviously gay.”

            “Unless Savannah’s a guy, he’s straight,” Rayna said.

            I blinked, “Guys, we’re not even together.”

            “But you will be. It’s so obvious!” Mia said.

            “I have a boyfriend,” I said.

            “Ooh!” Mia and Rayna chimed gleefully.

            “I bet he’s hot!” Mia piped.

            “With bulging muscles!” Rayna squealed. I swear, these two are already planning my wedding.

            I laughed, “Yeah, he’s a gymnast like me.”

            Alexa rolled her eyes, “Point is, Savannah, we need you on the squad.”

            I scratched my head. How can I go from an Olympic hopeful elite gymnast, to a high school cheerleader? It just didn’t add up. A part of me wanted to be an Olympian, or nothing. Another just wanted me to move on. I was torn.

            “Could I think about it?” I asked.

            Alexa exhaled sharply, “I usually don’t do personal invitations to the squad, but since you are a kick ass tumbler, fine.”

            She’s keeping her cool. I could tell by the atmosphere of the room that this was definitely not normal Alexa behaviour.

            I smiled, “Okay, I’m going to shower now. I stink.”

      %3