t h i r t y o n e

Start from the beginning

I kept the latch on the door and opened the door as far as it would allow. It was James and he looked... fidgety. We stared at each other a moment, "Well, are you gonna let me in?" he asked fumbling with his jacket. "Stand back" I said simply. Closing the door in his face, I moved the latch off the door and opened it so he could walk in. James walked in and his eyes beamed at Kylan who was sucking on his fingers. 

"And where have you been? You said you'd be here in 20 minutes, that was over an hour ago" I stated. James took off his jacket and laid it across the couch, "I had some things to handle at work" he said opening his arms for me to hand him Kylan. I took a step back from him, "I thought you said you took a leave of absence" I said questionably.

James slickly took Kylan from me, by pulling him away from me in a smooth manner. I didn't want to hold Kylan in my arms too tightly or it would've caused him to whimper in pain. James grabbed Kylan's bottle off the island and took a seat on the couch to feed him. "So when were you gonna tell me that you were back at work?" I asked pressing the issue. James grabbed the bridge of his nose out of frustration. 

"Why you sweating me right now? Why don't you just come home so we can talk?" James questioned. "This isn't about me right now. Why the fuck did you not tell me that you were back at work?" I asked angrily. James took the bottle from Kylan and placed him over his shoulder to burp him. "Mel, I don't think we should be having this conversation in front of my son." James said turning his attention to Kylan glaring at him over his shoulder.

'The nerve of this nigga' I thought to myself. Infuriated, I quickly changed the subject to make his ass reminisce. Like what makes him think he can make decisions like this and we have a child together! "James do you really think you would've been ready for a child with Naomi?" I questioned him. "Why are we still talking about her? I have a child with you Melissa. WITH YOU!" he yelled at me. I was taken aback by his demeanor with how defensive he had gotten, his loud voice caused Kylan to cry. 

Calming Kylan down James began to rock him and placed his pacifier in his mouth. "Why you gotta be such an ass?!" I questioned James. "What's the point in worrying about someone that isn't here?" James asked. "Because, if you couldn't handle it then, I don't know if you're ready now. I don't know what has gotten into you, but this shit has to stop! I've been gone for a week, and I still don't believe that you've put the baggy down James! You're not yourself" I said. 

James shook his head in disbelief, he looked down at Kylan and noticed he was falling asleep. James got up and walked to the bedroom and was confused about where to put Kylan. "Mel! Let's just take Ky home, there's not a baby bed" he called out.

I huffed and got up from the couch, I walked into the bedroom and grabbed some pillows to make a fort for Kylan. "Put his donut pillow here" I said simply. Taking my son from him, I placed him inside the donut pillow and placed the others around him. "He'll think I'm right next to him, he'll be fine" I said before leaving the bedroom. James followed me back into the living-room and took my arm, "Mel, I'm fine. I just... I can't do this alone. I'm under a lot of stress right now and things with the club have changed." He said lowly. 

 "Nothing is too much for you." I said looking in his eyes. "You always find a way, you got this. You have my support and Kylan's, but you cannot use a substance to ease the pain." I said taking his hand and sitting him back on the couch. "I can only do so much for you and be behind you 100%, but when you start doing things like this what am I supposed to do?!" I questioned. James shook his head, "I don't want you to worry. I got us, I'm just not used to being without you, and I don't want this to be a permanent situation." James said taking my hand. 

I looked down at them and examined my ring finger, I looked back up at him. "What's going on with the club?" I questioned. James caressed my hand and finally spoke, "Inventory still hasn't been the same since you left. Leila quit about a week ago and the sales just haven't been the same. Customers aren't responding well to the new girls, I just lost another investor" James said hanging his head.