Chapter 1: Death is Just the Beginning

Year 2530

7th Underground Base, Egypt.

"General! First to third floor has been breached! I repeat! First–"

The man who wears a green military uniform with four silver stars that pinned on his golden epaulet snatched my wireless headphone and put it in his left ear. He walked out the door but he stopped and glanced over his shoulder, still facing his back against me.

I saw the smug on his face in this dark office and used my headphones as he perfectly mimicked my voice, "Code Violet... That's an order..."

That code is the abandonment of the base which made me want to kill this bastard even I'm already dead.

The automatic door slowly closing and the last words are unbearable for me to hear by using his original voice, "Too bad, your people believed that I was you."

When the automatic door locked itself, darkness took over my sight.

♦ ♦ ♦

My name is Natasha Walker. I was born and trained to be the fitting leader of an army and nation to defend the civilians from humanity's worst enemy.

Shadows.

500 years ago, those abominations entered our world through the black portals that scattered around the world which known as the Gates of the Abyss. The first gate opened in the secret laboratory somewhere deep down of London. Scientists intend to create portals as humanity's new transportation but it turns out to be the beginning of the apocalypse.

The first shadow that walked across the Earth was a small humanoid black creature with a height of 3 feet and it carries some kind of purple energy balls. That thing acted like a child as it juggles the balls but the scientists were threatened and the armed forces started shooting at it. Unfortunately, the bullets won't do any damage to a lone shadow and it became upset as it cried in a deafening shriek.

Then it went on a rampage and managed to destroy a city in just one night. That thing it touched can destroy almost everything. From the word 'almost', there are specific things that it can't destroy. Air, earth, fire, and water. It doesn't make sense and the scientists have no idea how to explain that thing.