Brock and You

BROCK AND YOU

I shaded in the final section of my art piece. It was of a bright colourful world, with the outlines of celebrities over the top. It represented how some celebrities were genuine but others hide behind a mask. Though my description doesn't do it justice, it really is beautiful, if I do say so myself.

Smiling, I packed away my pastels. I used pastels because not many artists preferred the soft oily texture, but I loved it. Of course, this meant I couldn't use canvases but instead I used cloth, just to make it more interesting.

I checked the time on my watch and realised that if I didn't leave now I would be late to the art competition I was entering. The art work I had just completed would be what I entered. At the end of the competition, all the work would be bought and the money would go to charity. I know it's a bit last minute to be adding parts now but I needed to add one more celebrity. Brock Jays. It wasn't because of my celebrity crush on him but rather, I found his smile really genuine. It was perfect for my drawing and made it seem that much more real.

I grabbed the drawing and lay it flat in the backseat of my car. Hoping it would be ok, so long as I drove carefully, I jumped into the drivers seat of my adorable, little VW bug. It wasn't far to the art gallery, where the competition would be held, but as I neared the parking lot, I realised that I was one of few in arty clothes, most others wore formal or smart casual wear.

My black genie pants, had paint splattered all over them and hand prints over the top. My t shirt was plain but had some colourful chalk dust rubbed into it. Though only my pants were purposely decorated by me, I loved how the dust made my shirt look. The scruffy, white Converse Hightops on my feet were brightly coloured, with the designs I created and drew on myself. Let's just say that my outfit said a lot about me. I was a bright person who obviously, loved art. I hated wearing dull things and love to customise my own clothing. Even for work, I wore bright ribbons in my hair and added neon bangles to the plain black attire I had to wear.

That brings me to my job. I work as a receptionist at the local doctors. As much as I liked the money I received to fund for my art supplies, I hated my job. That was why I was entering an art competition, to try and get a scholarship to a Art University in Australia.

Finding a carpark, I parked my car and grabbed my drawing from the backseat. I slipped into the gallery just as the officials called for the artwork to be put on display. Popping my work onto a nearby easel, I stuck a sign with my name, age and description of my drawing beside it.

I stood behind the easel as I waited for the people to start and come to observe. The thing is, you never know who the judges are. They always wear casual clothes to blend in the crowd, to see if your behavior is good too. I smiled and greeted everyone that passed, not because of the judges though. I always said hello to most people I meet anyway.

Soon someone came up to my easel, that I never would've imagined. The person I added onto my drawing befor I came. Brock Jays. He stood quietly and looked at my art piece for what seemed like a long time. I held my breath as I waited I hear what he thought of the drawing I did of himself.

"That is amazing," he exclaimed as he quickly glanced down at the sign I had put up, "Y/N! It really is! I'm..."

"Brock. Yeah, I'm a fan," I interrupted him. "So what are you doing here, if you don't mind me asking? Shouldn't you be rehearsing for your band's tour or something?"

He chuckled at that. "My cousin is trying out for the uni too."

"So, interested in buying it?" I asked, referring to my drawing. "Not many people will bid for it, I'm sure."

"Are you kidding me? It's amazing, Y/N! I'm definitely going for it! I mean it does feature me!" he joked with a huge grin, making my stomach flop.

I smiled wider than I had all day, considering all the stress I had had. Brock and I continued to chat all the way up to the time for the auction, just before the announcement of the winner.

We sat next to each other as the auction began, with artwork going from $20 to $150. It was crazy. Then it was my artworks time to shine and I sighed, knowing that no one would want it.

"Hey, it's ok, Y/N. I told you I would bid didn't I? If I see it's good, everyone will!" Brock said, trying to cheer me up.

I gave him a small smile of thanks, before turning back to watch the auction. At first no one bid, but slowly the price rose and rose, soon in the early 200s. My mouth dropped as people bid and bid until eventually the price stopped at $210.

"Going once, $210 going twice..." the auctioner called.

"$300!" a loud, firm voice yelled next to me. Oh my goodness. Brock Jays went up by $90 just for my painting. Brock Jays won MY painting. It didn't even matter if I got the scholarship anymore, just that satisfied me.

Looking over at Brock, I saw that he was smiling down at me. I smiled back at him, each of us trying to out widen each other's grin.

"Thank you," I whispered gently to him.

"What? I should be thanking you! Thanks for creating an amazing art piece for my bedroom wall. Thanks for coming today so that I could meet you. Thanks for being so beautiful."

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

AUTHOR'S NOTE

How was it, everyone? Better, worse? Please comment and let me know!

If you have any suggestions or ideas, comment and I'll try and I've them a go!

S

Xx