Chapter 57 Conflict

Start from the beginning

"You're doing a very brave thing."

"It feels like a really stupid thing. Before I could hide it. Soon it's going to be impossible to ignore and everyone will know. They'll ask, or worse, they'll start stories about the whole thing." Vita's leg trembled.

"Vita," Cynthia said, staring into those glassy blue eyes. "Nothing they say matters. You want support? Just look to me, Winston, Mr. M, even that boy out there who you're not hiding it from."

Vita nodded and sniffled. "I wish none of this ever happened."

"We all wish that, every day," Cynthia said as her thoughts wandered to John's warm smile, tender hands and embrace. "But we keep moving forward because the past is over and we have to deal with the present to keep ourselves sane."

"I'm sorry about your husband. I know how hard it's been on you."

"Thank you, Vita."

The door opened behind them and Gunnar stepped back through. A beautiful Mastiff sat obediently outside. "I dunno how many rabbits you'll find out here, but you should go looking. I don't think you get to stay in this place." The dog waited in place until Gunnar scratched its head and then took off running.

"Does he come right back?" Vita asked.

"Sometimes. Depends if he finds anything interesting."

"You're not worried about him?"

Gunnar shrugged. "He was living alright before I found him. Can't see why he'd be different here." He shoved his hands in his pockets. "That leader guy said something about food."

"Oh yeah, I'll show you the kitchen. I used to work there before I learned how to wield a knife."

His eyebrows raised. "Ya cook?"

"She made some pancakes that are sorely missed by many here," Cynthia said. "Maybe if you're lucky, she'll make you some."

Vita averted her eyes when Gunnar's gaze fell upon her. "Not today, maybe later when they don't think I'm fit to scavenge anymore. But let's get some food."

The following day, Cynthia sat near Peyton and his wife at the table, eager to hear how their escape had been managed. Peyton guarded his words like they had supplies after the storm. Amelia was quicker to converse on regular topics. Mr. M sat down at her side with a smile and a plate brimming with rice and beans.

"Such a happy reunion," Mr. M said.

Given the looks on everyone's faces, she couldn't quite see how he made that link. The conditions were likely better, but something didn't feel right.

"It's a tenfold improvement," Amelia said with a smile.

"Were you able to use any of the techniques we practised?" Mr. M asked Peyton.

His face went white and he pushed his plate away from the edge of the table. "Excuse me a moment."

Amelia continued to work on her food as if nothing had happened. Mr. M paid the departure no extra attention, but Cynthia couldn't let him just walk away like that. Something had deeply affected Peyton on that mission and she wasn't content to sweep it under the rug like the others would.

She found Peyton in the greenhouse. She looked around the darkness to see who else was around, given that he was speaking, but couldn't find anyone.

"I didn't mean to do it, Lily. Please forgive me. We've always taught you to solve your problems with your words, with your fair and kind nature. Sometimes people make mistakes."