Chapter 28 Nothing but a Shadow

Gunnar sat across from Mischa in Sonic with two burgers and a package of onions rings. He had fought her to pay at the register, but she straight up refused and she gently pushed him away from the debit machine. He couldn't understand what this whole supper was about, but honestly, he didn't really care. If he got to sit and eat free food with a hot girl, things were looking way up since yesterday.

She ran her hand through her red hair again. He wanted to forget how soft it felt between his cracked fingertips and how sweet she smelled. She was at the very least, middle to upper class, had a boyfriend and should in no way be interested in a guy like him. Sleazes like Rob would be all over a girl like this, but it just wasn't right. She deserved more.

He had no idea why those words came out of his mouth, taunting her for feeling that attraction. Her look had shocked him more than anything. She wanted him as much as he wanted her back in that hallway. That was scary as shit. Girls never looked at him that way, not ones that Rob hadn't paid to flirt with them. And Rob wasn't the one who needed the help.

Mischa broke the silence. "It's nice to have someone to eat with. It's just kind of crappy, spending another night alone at my place when my dad's away working."

Gunnar frowned. "You shouldn't tell people that. You don't even know me."

"Tell you what?"

"That you're staying alone at your place. It's not safe to go spreading that around."

"What? You're going to break into my house next?" Mischa teased and poked him in the arm.

"No, but you just gotta be careful. There are a lot of messed up people out there."

He had strict instructions for Aida if he ever had to leave her alone or with their mother when she was high. Aida's room had locks that couldn't be picked so easily, and she knew when she needed to be in there. Sometimes their mother's clients didn't stay outside the home. Most people didn't even know where he lived, if he could help it.

"Why are you so evasive?" Mischa asked.

"What's that mean?"

"Means you don't like people to know your business."

Gunnar shrugged. "If you got questions, y'can ask 'em. But I'm not gonna tell ya my life story for shits and giggles."

 "Alright, how old are you?"

"Seventeen and you?"

"Sixteen. Where do you see yourself in five years?"

"Around, you?"

"I'll be finishing up business school, maybe open up my own shop."

"What do ya want to sell?"

"Clothes, accessories, help people see the person they never thought they could be. Clothes are a big part of that." Her eyes sparkled, and her whole body moved when her hands went wild with excitement. She looked like Aida when she talked about dancing.

Gunnar laughed. If only... "So if I had nicer clothes, I'd be a nicer guy."

Mischa took a sip of her drink that seemed to take forever. "I never said that. You're already a nice guy, maybe you'd just be able to see what you're worth a bit more clearly."

He raised an eyebrow. No one had ever brought up the topic although he could figure out their thoughts pretty easily. Another burn out, heading for the bottom of a cliff at top speed. He'd never cared enough to sway them otherwise. "And what exactly am I worth?"