Chapter 29

FINNICK

District 13 is nothing like I imagined it to be.

Everything is dim and gray. It may just be a state of mind, but I feel so suffocated. Like everything is closing in around me and I have nowhere to escape to. I'm freaking out on the inside as I try to keep my calm. I don't need a repeat of what happened yesterday..

I sit up on my hospital bed and swing my legs over the side, so they're resting on the floor. This, of course, makes the bed alarm go off, and the nurse, who's already tired of me, to rush in.

"Finnick, I told you to stay still in bed, you need to rest" she says. "Whenever that damn alarm goes off I have to assume you're having a panic attack like yesterday." Yeah, like yesterday.

I moan and mumble under my breath. "Sorry again, you're not the one who has been seeing death and destruction for the past year" That gets me a hard slap on the cheek.

The nurse looks behind her, out the door into the hallway, and turns back to me.

"Look Finnick, I'm really sorry about your girlfriend." I clench my jaw. "But you just gotta be optimistic about this. Look, I know it's hard, but you just have to get over it and get things done."

I just look at her. No words. Wow, she really thinks she's 'helping'? What kind of help is this? Assisted suicide?

"Get the fuck out of my room."

She looks at me with a poker face, and basically stomps out of the room and half-slams the door. I'm now alone.

I get up and lock the door, then I lay back in my bed, setting the fragile alarm off again. As I listen to the repetitive alarm and a few bangs on the door, I up my morphine and close my eyes.

Here I come, Annie. Here I come.