Chapter 22

ANNIE

I stand in the kitchen, holding the knife in my hand. I'm ready. I'm ready to leave this painful world and the mistakes I made in it. When Finnick finds out, he will be so angry and hurt... No. He will never find out, because I'm the only one who knows.

I slept with Lanceton. A couple of days after the talk in the alley, he asked if I wanted to sleep with him. To my surprise, I said yes.

I have betrayed Finnick, the only person I love. I was getting so lonely and I just... I don't know what got into me.

So here I stand, a knife in my hand, ready to kill myself. It should be pretty easy, just plunge the knife in my chest, aiming towards my heart. But I'm finding it quite hard.......

*************

"Do you know how proud I am to have someone as amazing and beautiful as you love me? I want to tell the whole world..." Finnick gets up from the wet sand of the beach, untangling himself from me.

"I'm in love with Annie Cresta!" he shouts, then wraps himself around me again.

I start to giggle, and then it turns into full on laughing. I can do that when I'm around him; be myself.

"Annie, I promise to love you forever and ever, and I promise to never hurt you. Okay?"

"Okay, Finnick." I say.

I slowly lean into his face and....

*************

When I come to, I'm on the kitchen floor, the knife on the counter.

I can't do it.

I can not leave everyone behind. I can not leave Finnick behind. Because I know it will cause him much pain, and I just can't bring myself to do that.