Chapter 20: Iseldir's Wisdom

Start from the beginning

The older man raises his hands in peace, pulling the hood of his cloak from his head.

"You..." Leon whispers, his eyes wide at the familiar face he had seen only a year ago. A man whom he never thought he'd see again. The man he never got to thank for saving his life.

Now aware of the man, Arthur draws his sword, standing protectively in front of Edythe.

"I am Iseldir", the man greets, bowing to the King. "It appears we meet again, Arthur Pendragon."

"Y-you're Iseldir?"

Arthur has met this man on a few occasions, never having caught his name. Edythe had told of the man who had raised her, Iseldir. Arthur did not imagine the druid to be the same person. The King is overcome with regret under some of the circumstances he had met this man and how he had treated him.

"Yes. And I mean no harm," Iseldir assures, taking a step toward Arthur, motioning to the Edythe behind him. "I am here for Edythe."

"How did you know where she'd be?"

"I've had my mind connected to hers from the moment she set foot in Camelot", Iseldir explains. "I felt her leave and knew I had to find her."

The druid nods toward Edythe once more, asking permission to pass Arthur. The King gives a gentle nod, knowing that Edythe trusts Iseldir, so he would be right to as well. Iseldir kneels beside the woman, placing his hand on her forehead. He whispers words under his breath. Despite knowing Iseldir will and can use magic, Arthur doesn't protest. Edythe has called him very powerful and kind.

"Life has almost left her", Iseldir whispers.

He quickly grabs Edythe's hands, pulling them into his own. The man begins to utter words from another language that Arthur doesn't know. His voice is firm as he digs deep inside his power for the strength to bring Edythe back. To heal her wounds.

Merlin enters the camp, herbs in hand as he catches sight of Iseldir. He joins Leon and Percival, watching in shock as the druid mutters words. Merlin listens carefully, never having heard such a spell in his life, confused by it.

Iseldir lets out one last roar of the unknown language, his eyes glowing bright gold. The forest falls silent. Arthur and everyone else hopefully looks on Edythe. Her skin begins to glow with a small light that sends sparks all through her veins. The light disappears under her clothes, toward her covered wounds. Where the light had been, Edythe now looks healthier, more alive in the path left behind.

Arthur lets out a breath of relief as Iseldir reaches across to her leg, pulling back the fabric to reveal nothing but a scab. A bruise is now in place of the stab wound. Even the Knights and Merlin watching, sigh.

"She will rest now", Iseldir assures.

"Thank you", Arthur offers, hand on Iseldir's shoulder.

"Of course", Iseldir offers ", Edythe is my family."

That sentence takes Arthur back. Arthur truly understands how different Edythe is to himself for the first time. This is what she meant when stating their opposite lives. Of course, he knew she came from an entirely different life, but he never considered what Edythe wanted. She has friends-family in the life she had before Camelot.

Arthur wonders if that's why she left. Was it because she didn't want to lose the family she already had? Was all her changing for people she wished to return to? Is he a wrinkle in the life she wishes for?

Iseldir notices the King's thought, placing a comforting hand on his shoulder. "Do not worry, Arthur. I will talk with her. She will see sense. Edythe does want to live in Camelot, and she does want you as a brother. She just needs guidance from a familiar face from her old life. Reassurance that everything is real."