4

It was a Friday and like every Friday there was the poetry course, my friend and I sat as usual next door ..... She showed up again with that strange smile on her face...

So I asked her, "all right?" She nodded her head, silently. At the end of the lesson she looked at me and said: listen to Mary I have a gift for you from my cousin, it is a very special thing for him, a gesture to make you understand that all this story is true, that he exists, and that he really loves you...

At that moment I thought about how someone could love me without even knowing me, and I asked her how she could tell me she loved me. She looked down, and she told me that every time she talked to him about me, and that he couldn’t forget me from the first day he saw me.

I was silent, I was upset, maybe it was too soon to think of love for me, it was something too giant that I still could not hold in my hands, it weighed me...

As soon as she left class, I looked around, I opened the gift. It was a beautiful jewel with a fiery red color, it was as if he was giving me a piece of his heart, but scared I decided to get rid of this burden. I approached the basket and dropped it from my hands, into the darkest abyss.

Once back in class, my friend approached me and asked me if I liked the jewel, I said yes. Maybe that day I learned to tell lies, not simple lies, the ones that tear your heart and soul, the ones that if you say, you already know will lead you to lose an important person, or at least that’s what I thought.

Maybe I should have kept that jewel, because it belonged to a soul that loved me, but I was so afraid. Maybe I didn’t know anything about love the way I thought I did.

I didn’t say anything to my friend, but the sound of the necklace kept ringing in my head the next few days. I thought I’d feel more free, but I couldn’t take my mind off it.

All of a sudden it was dark...