Chapter 4

Warning: mentions of a hookup with graphic descriptions, transphobia, and homophobia.

Tony had managed to pull Bruce out of his condo to come on his trip to LA a day later. He knew Bruce was fascinated by the Arc Reactor and the recent engine, so Tony said he'd let Bruce see the repairs. The plan was the first day they'd go to the reactor plant and fix the problem, then spend three days at Tony's house in Malibu just relaxing, getting sun, typical things you do in Malibu.

They were on Tony's private jet while Tony explained what happened with the sketches and the whole Romantic Soulmate thing. Bruce was half listening, half typing his report on his laptop. He was good at multitasking where Tony was concerned. And this report was extremely important to his career.

"So, you know, I'm trying to take Pepper's advice, because she's always right, frankly. I just don't know. I feel like-." He looked at Bruce for the first time in over twenty minutes of rambling and cleared his throat. "Honestly, what's the point of my kidnapping you if you refuse to behave like a captive audience for my nonsense?"

"It's not like I haven't been listening." Bruce defended, still looking at his laptop. "I just also have a time limit to release this study. And as you know, it also has to be looked at by the science community in general."

Tony gave a put-upon sigh and gave up. "I disagree. It is like you're not listening, even if you are. Meh. Are you hungry? Wanna have something before we land?"

"I'll take a green drink."

"There you go, now you're acting like a prisoner!" Tony signalled to the flight attendant. "Hey, can I get a couple of club sandwiches and green drinks for me and my hippie science bro here?"

"Just because I'm concerned about being healthy doesn't mean I'm a hippie."

"Course not. I attribute the air of smugness around it to you being a hippie, that's all." Tony grinned. "You can pick the bacon off your sandwich. I'll even let you glare at me sanctimoniously while you do it."

Bruce chuckled, and appreciated Tony's honesty. And as sanctioned, he did exactly that as he picked the bacon off of his sandwich.

But when there were 20 minutes left on the flight, Natasha (who came on the trip because she needed a break) got a notification on her phone. When she opened it, she whispered, "goddammit" and knew that she'd have to fend off paparazzi on their trip. With a sigh, she got up from her seat and tapped Tony on the shoulder.

"Another scandal has popped up." She said. "The Daily Mail says they have incriminating photos of you from 2 weeks ago. Some girl named Carmen is their source."

Tony started to reflexively shrug the news off but it seemed to stick in his gut. He'd gotten threats and fielded attempts on his dignity from all comers for a long time, and most of the time they just rolled off, because the bullies can't exactly do anything to you if you have money and don't give a fuck about your bad-boy reputation. But all of a sudden, he realized with growing horror, he gave a fuck. For once there was someone that maybe he didn't want seeing pictures in the grocery store of him sucking champagne off supermodels.

It was dumb. Google already had that and worse. But everything about having a Romantic Soulmate was apparently about making him feel dumb.

Bruce noticed Tony's sudden change in demeanor, and shut his laptop. Now seemed the proper time to actually be supportive instead of just listening.

"You're actually worried this time?"

Tony shook his head. "It's fine. No, it's fine. This is actually probably good I mean-" He spun the problem in his big brain and couldn't quite come up with a believable way to end that sentence. "I mean it'll be fine. It's not like it isn't true, right? So I guess something like this was bound to happen."

By Design - Stony AUOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara