Chapter 21

Love and Letters

Chapter 21

Epilogue

"Amani! Don't do that!" I scolded her, the fear in my voice made it sound tensed. "You're going to get hurt!" I rolled my eyes as my stubborn wife stood on the edge of a stool and pulled down the heaviest blanket we had in the closet while she ignored my warnings.

"If you had done it like I had asked you to, I wouldn't have to try and kill myself!" she grumbled as she tried to pull the corner of the blanket. Only, Amani was too short to even reach it, and I was having too much fun watching her try to grab it to actually help her.

She was dressed in matching pyjamas, as always, light pink thick winter pants with an equally thick matching top that had a hoodie. Her hair was a mess as we both got up, made our tahajjud and then fajr salaah, checked on the children and then Amani complained of feeling cold, only by that time I was already underneath the blankets.

"Is-haaaaq!" I heard her cry out irritably. Amani was still unable to reach her much needed blanket. Yet, for what purpose she would need a blanket while I was beside her baffled me to no end.

Shaking my head as I tried to hide my amused smile, I got out of bed and went to help my moody wife get her blanket. "Really, Ami?" I sighed as I barely lifted my hand and pulled out the blanket. "Was it truly so difficult?"

She grabbed the blanket from my hands and rushed to the bed, hopping in quickly and yelled back at me, "Yes! Now you have to cover me!"

"You're such a child sometimes, I swear," I muttered as the smile never left my face. Even after all these years together, Amani still fascinated me and kept me engrossed in her antics.

Amani stuck her tongue out at me and waited until I covered her and got under the blankets. "You should have helped me the first time, Is-haaq," she complained as she turned around to face me. "I wouldn't have annoyed you to get the blanket for me. You know how cold I get," she lamented sullenly.

I didn't give her a chance to continue whining as I twisted and wrapped my tall body frame over her smaller one and clung to her like a koala. My legs were wrapped around hers and my head was buried in her neck, making her feel my cold nose. "I promised that I would do everything that I can to help us get to Jannah, love. I never said I wouldn't make you annoyed or irritate you or made you mad on our journey to Jannah," I reminded her.

"I know, but can you not do it in winter, please? When I'm freezing?"

I chuckled in her neck and grinned when I felt Amani squirm away from the heat of my breath hitting her neck. "I'm trying to warm you up now; doesn't that count for something?"

"No," she said moodily, and I knew that my wife would be pouting. I craned my head slightly and smirked when I saw her pouting. Seven years married and I knew her like I knew my identity number; backwards and forwards. "If you had gotten me the blanket the first time that I had asked you, then you would have been the best husband in the entire universe!"

"And now? What's my ranking?" I bit back the smile at her adorable pout.

"You're just a husband."

"I'm not even the 'best husband in the world'?"

She huffed even as she hugged me closer to her body. Her one hand strayed to the hair at the back of my neck and played with it. "Not even close!"

I pressed kisses all along her neck, but she pushed me away. "No," she said as she feigned anger. In her beautiful eyes, I saw the way the glittered with the attention I paid her neck. Amani's anger was fading and her resolve to stay strong against me was waning.