34. DESTROYER

CHAPTER THIRTY FOUR
[DESTROYER]

Cold licked at Kai's face and crept under his clothes, spreading across his skin like the lacy tide on a frigid winter beach

Cold licked at Kai's face and crept under his clothes, spreading across his skin like the lacy tide on a frigid winter beach. With purple lips tinged with blue and gently chattering teeth he wrapped his thin coat around him tighter.

He glanced behind him at Bonnie who trudged through the snow behind him, she seemed completely unaffected by how cold it was.

He wasn't used to this weather yet, not after spending eighteen years of his life in Summer. He wasn't used to a lot of things.

"I don't think the ascendant would be this deep in the woods." Kai says, ending the silence left between them.

"Let's just keep looking." Bonnie sighs.

Kai rolls his eyes as he continues to walk through the soft snow of the woods. The silence takes over again— but this time it was weird. He felt like he should speak. "I'm sorry about— Molly's freakout earlier." He says. If it were under other circumstances— he would totally let her rip out Damon's throat. "The full moon's are really hard on her." He glances at Bonnie behind him, and then turns back around to keep walking.

"I know." Bonnie raises her eyebrows. "I've known her for eight years." Bonnie watches him as he walks in front of her. "It's just weird— she was never aggressive until she met you." Kai stops in his tracks and lets out a sigh before turning around to face Bonnie.

"I know you don't like me— and I can't blame you." Kai inhales sharply before speaking again. "I've done a lot of shitty things. I know that." He pauses. "And being with Molly made me realize things. She's changed me. For the better."

"But at what cost?" Bonnie shakes her head. "She hasn't been to school in months— we haven't talked in who knows how long— and when I see her it's like I'm looking at a stranger." Bonnie says. "I want my friend back."

Kai clenches his jaw. "No." He says. "You want someone who's convenient. You want to use her—"

"You're not good for her." Bonnie interrupts angrily.

"She's smart enough to decide that for herself." Kai snaps back.

Kai watches as Bonnie mentally argues with herself before speaking. "I'm sorry."

"For what?" Kai says.

Before Kai could react, a dagger was plunged into his stomach at the hands of Bonnie.

Kai slowly looked down at the dagger then up to Bonnie, who violently pulled it back out of his stomach, sending him to his knees. He couldn't fathom words.

"If you really cared about her you would know this is in her best interest." Bonnie spoke, staring down at Kai with narrowed eyes.

"Please—" Kai spoke, his voice cracking as he brought his hands to his bleeding stomach.