24. Hunted by Witches

Start from the beginning

Ashley tried to speak, but wearing a corset again after all the non-constricted time made any movement painful. She sucked in a breath at the sudden squeezing. "What do you want?" Ashley finally managed to say. "And can you loosen this corset? I can barely breathe." Another wave of the High Priestess's arm and Ashley could once again welcome air into her lungs. "Thanks." 

When she adjusted her skirts and stepped back, her heels rat-a-tatted against the stones. She lifted the black ruffled hem. Glass slippers. Seriously? What is it with magical beings and their affinity for uncomfortable footwear? Ashley almost asked for a shoe switch, but upon reflection, she decided not to. Being the daughter of an evil stepmonster and two cruel stepsisters made Ashley wary of pushing her luck.

"Don't mention it. Do you know why you're here?"

"Is it about that prophecy?"

"Partly. My familiar, Tina," the witch indicated the owl, "told me you rejected my gift."

What a tattle-tale. Tina could've at least softened the blow by adding how much Ashley appreciated the offer.

"I," Ashley said. "I explained to ... uh ..."

"Tina. The owl. No need to pretend. We know of your animal communication abilities."

Ashley wrinkled her forehead. "How do you know so much about me when I had never even heard of you until yesterday?"

"Because we know all those who've been touched with magic. It's part of our corporate mission statement."

"I'm not touched by anything except maybe by insanity. Where are my friends? I need to find them and get back to Ever After before the villagers storm the castle, and there are untold deaths. Please?" She sighed. Tell me the prophecy. I'm sorry I was so troublesome about it. I want to hear it."

"Glad you see things my way," the High Priestess said. "The envelope, please." She held out her taloned hand, and a golden envelope appeared. Opening the envelope, she cleared her throat and read:

"You shall face your greatest enemy in a battle to the death and only survive if you climb the highest mountain in the seven kingdoms, hide behind the hair of a prisoner, help the Guardian, and procure a dragon's egg. Oh, and it has to be a Thursday, or forget any chance of survival."

"Are you kidding?" Ashley said.

"Why would I kid? Death is serious."

"Possible death," Ashley corrected.

"Sure, possible death," the witch agreed.

"You just repeated my own fake prophecy," Ashley said.

"What do you mean?"

"I made that up and told it to Tina. As a joke. You copied."

"Is this true, Tina?" The owl nodded.

"Interesting development," the witch said. "Not just an animal communicator, she's also a prognosticator."

"Huh?"

"An oracle? Prophet? Soothsayer?"

Ashley's head throbbed as she attempted to absorb this information. "Sorry, you've lost me."

"I'm saying you might have additional magical abilities that we need to investigate. Perform a few magical tests. Perhaps you are one of us. A witch."

Ashley remembered only a few hours ago when she wanted to join the witches. Now all she wanted was to return to her kingdom while she had a kingdom to return to. And she couldn't possibly be a prognosticator. They must've set this up. The owl gave Ashley's stupid prediction to the witches, and that's how it got in the envelope. But to free her friends and escape, it made sense to meet the High Priestess halfway. "Interesting. But I can't be experimented on right now. I have a kingdom to save. I promise I'll come back later, though."