"I protect her to keep her out of this."

"We have a greater concern," Blinky said. "According to Aaarrrgghh's reconnaissance, Gunmar has left Trollmarket."

"He still chases the Eternal Night," Nomura said.

"Until we learn more, we must remain vigilant and use this time to prepare. The right way."

"Let me just go grab my stuff," Jim said, picking up his backpack.

"We must take every precaution in the event Gunmar strikes," Strickler said, holding up the can of Grave Sand.

***

Jim sliced a few tomatoes in his kitchen and made sandwiches with them. He put them each in bags and looked at the Grave Sand nearby. He picked it up. "Mom, I packed you a lunch!" he called.

"Down here, honey!"

Jim walked into the basement and saw Barbara painting another picture with cans of paint nearby. Jim looked around at all the other pictures she's painting. There was one of Blinky, Vendel purple trolls, and looked at the one Barbara was painting. "So, what do you think?" she asked. "I call it 'Goodbye, Walt'."

Jim looked at the painting of Strickler in his troll form. "You warned me he was bad news," Barbara said. "But I didn't listen. Then, he vanishes without a goodbye. What kind of man does that?" she pointed to the horns. "Hence the horns. They're symbolic."

"Wow, mom," Jim said. "Quite the imagination."

"Thank you, sweetie. First your father, and now him. I swear if I ever see Walt again—"

"On that note, I have to run."

***

"How can Claire still be sick?" Toby asked as they walked through the school hallway.

"It's one sick day, Tobes," Jim said. "Claire needs her rest."

Coach Lawrence walked out of a classroom. "Hey, Champ," he said to Steve. "Your mom has to work late. What do you say to pizza?"

"Dad—Coach," Steve said. "I told you not to talk to me at school."

"I know I'm not your father, but I'd like to be your friend. Come on, bring it in."

He wrapped his arm around Steve and Jim and Toby saw this. They saw them and Coach and Steve quickly separated. "Jumping jacks, now!" Coach Lawrence said. "Give me 20!"

Once Coach Lawrence was gone, Steve walked over to them. "You heard nothing, Lake," he said. "Got it?"

He pushed Jim to the ground and the Grave Sand fell out of his backpack. It rolled down the hallway and into the teacher's lounge. "Great," Jim said.

"The teacher's lounge," Toby said. "The educational no-fly zone."

"Just cover for me, okay?"

He went to the teacher's lounge. He saw Senor Uhl, Coach Lawrence, and Miss. Janeth. "Kids these days," Coach Lawrence said. "You try to open up to them, then they shut you down."

Jim saw the Grave Sand on the counter. "At least you get a reaction," Miss. Janeth said. "I became a teacher to make a difference. Now, I just make them fall asleep."

Jim hid under the table without being seen. "Quit grousing, Lenora," Senor Uhl said. "My students stole my truck and then tried to poison me with a Diablo Maximus Breakfast Burrito. Detention does nothing. No discipline, no respect."

Toby ran to the doorway. "Surprise teacher dance party!" he started dancing in the doorway. The teachers stared at him while Jim took the Grave sand from the counter. "This is a strict no-dancing zone, Domzalski," Senor Uhl said.