Chapter 25: Kris

Magsimula sa umpisa

There weren't many like her. She was truly special. I slipped the knife into my pocket and cut the lights in the basement.

The further we got into December the colder it became. It was the coldest it'd been, and my California breeding was not liking this at all. I tugged my coat tighter over my chest to somehow fight the Oklahoma winter.

On the way home, I picked up a bouquet of flowers from the market to bring to Maria. Things between us were tense, but having Alexandra in my life, well, the way she spoke of her husband... it made me want to make things right with Maria.

She could be my rock, and I had to behave properly to keep her. With that being said, I pulled into the McDonald's drive thru to bring her all of her favorites from the menu. What I had learned about Maria from her first pregnancy was that when she craved food, it was best to give into her.

As I entered the house, I found Maria sitting on the sofa with a very pregnant Eloise sitting on her also very pregnant belly. She heard my keys jingling as I put them on the hook. Her eyes zeroed in on the McDonald's bag in my hand.

I walked over, kissing the top of her head as I handed her the bag. Eloise jumped onto my lap the moment I took a seat. These days she enjoyed being petted and cared for. Maria devoured the food I had brought her, making little sounds of contentment. She was easy to please.

Eloise moved her tail up and down as I stroked the top of her head.

Maria took a break from her feast.

"I took Eloise to get an ultrasound today. She's having 6 kittens." she said.

I looked down at Eloise. Her eyes were closed, enjoying the quality pets I was giving her.

"Baby Eloises is exactly what we need." I said. "Plus this." I placed my hand on Maria's round belly.

She smiled, setting her hand on mine.

"No word yet on what this baby will be. It's too early still."

"Well, if I'm lucky, it'll be another you."

A strange expression crossed her face. Her eyes welled with tears as she took another bite of her burger. Her smile was gone, and had been replaced by sadness. The hormones were especially rough these days. I leaned over kissing her face before kissing her belly.

Everything would be okay, everything would soon be restored. She just had to trust me.

"I want to say that I am sorry." I said.

"For?" she asked, keeping her eyes on her food.

"For getting carried away with the task the FBI gave me."

"They haven't been in to check on you." she said.

"They've put a temporary hold on this. I told them that I was getting nowhere and that it was starting to affect us."

The truth of the matter was, the agents had put a hold on it because they had gotten another lead and they were tracking it. My progress on the site would be put on hold until they could have better focus on me.

It didn't matter what the reasoning was, I needed this time for myself.

I lifted Eloise off of me and stood, extending a hand out to Maria.

"Listen, my lieutenant gave me the rest of the day off. I've been working the Layla Delgado case too much. I want to take you somewhere nice. The Christmas Light tour is happening tonight. We'll take the trolley to Downtown Tulsa and have a night to ourselves with Jordan."

"I don't know, it might be too cold." Maria protested.

"If it's too cold, we'll come back, but we haven't had a chance to be together, truly together as a real couple. It's been living life on the run, and it's not fair to you. I haven't been kind to you despite that you gave up so much for me. You know that it is hard for me to admit that I care for anyone, let alone need anyone in my life. You understand that compassion for me is nearly impossible. I have tried so hard to change for you and for Jordan. Let's have this night, for what we're trying to build."

She threw her arms around my neck. She'd gotten heavier since the pregnancy. I squeezed her into my chest. It reminded me of the first night that we truly admitted whatever it was that we had.

She was so vulnerable then, she was so vulnerable now. She was also easy, she had something to hide. I could see it in her face.

It had everything to do with the agents and with Jenny. They thought I was stupid. They had put a stop to the dating site because they had followed another lead. No that was a lie, it was inconsistent with their mission.

I didn't know what exactly the relationship between the three of them was, but whatever it was, it wouldn't be good for me.

I kissed her head, her cheeks and her lips.

Maria was easy, all you had to tell her was what she wanted to hear.

Hello!! How was everyone's week? Plans for thanksgiving?

How was this chapter??

Kris is never in the dark is he? He suspects something, but would he ever imagine what it truly is?

The ending to this story is inspired by the song Take Me to Church by Hozier. So take a listen and tell me what you think the ending will be!

Also, I'm off this entire week, so I will be going through The Doll Collector and adding in changes and edits I've been working on. If you get notifs that there's been an update, it's me editing, so you're totally welcome to read up! :)