29 ♛ Pandemonium

Start from the beginning

Was her coming to the palace a complete waste of her time?

Li Xun watched her quietly. Even though he was clearly overwhelmed with curiosity, he decided to let it go and patted her head lightly with an understanding smile.

"Tell me when you're ready," he said.

Her pulse raced. Clearing her throat, she changed the subject quickly. "H-how are you faring with all the attention? I see that a lot of ladies are on your tail."

His eyes twinkled lightly and a teasing smile played on his lips. "But none of them are as captivating as the maiden who played the pipa," he praised. "How about you? Did you find her enchanting too?"

So he did figure out that someone had posed as his sister and substituted her in the performance.

But the question was — did he know who exactly it was?

Her cheeks ignited in flames. She averted her gaze and blurted out without thinking much. "I-I guess so..."

"I'm thinking of rewarding her for her outstanding performance," he remarked. "The guests believe it was Li Xue and they are very pleased. Is she still in the waiting room? Shall we head over to greet her?"

His suggestion sent her into a state of panic. She knew he would never be unable to locate that lady he was talking about.

Because it was none other than her.

Her mind fumbled for an excuse. "I believe you should remain here," she suggested. "Many are waiting for a chance to speak to you. If you leave, you would only disappoint them."

"Should I?" he sighed in disappointment. "What a shame. Here I am, feeling all excited to meet her."

In the next second, he leaned towards her. His breath tickled her cheek and he whispered words into her ear that nobody else could hear.

His velvet voice laced thick with amusement. "Don't worry, your secret is safe with me," he promised. "It was a spectacular performance and I enjoyed it a lot. It was the first time I've seen a boy play a pipa this well."

A gasp lodged in her throat.

His eyes were sharp indeed. Apparently, he did figure out that she was the maiden.

Regardless, she decided to feint ignorance. "I don't know what you're talking about."

His grin grew wider. "If you say so."

She avoided his gaze, fixing her stare awkwardly at her feet. "But did the Emperor and Empress...notice?" she asked quietly. "That somebody else replaced the Princess?"

Li Xun nodded. "Of course. Any parent would recognise their own flesh and blood anywhere. But I doubt they would have minded, considering how we were saved from upsetting our guests. I believe they won't pursue the matter, or the maiden. I'll make sure of that."

Long'Er exhaled loudly. "That's a relief."

The skin around his eyes crinkled with humour. "It was really you, wasn't it?"

Embarrassment heated her cheeks. "I don't know what you're talking about. I was with the Princess in the waiting room at that time. She can vouch for me."

He shook his head at her, teasing her. "You're a stubborn one, aren't you?"

"I can say the same about you. Why do you keep insisting it was me?! Why would a boy like me wear female clothes? It's embarrassing!"

The back-and-forth bicker never seemed to end. He chuckled at her, obviously finding joy in her flustered reactions. It was strange, but oddly fascinating that they were at ease with each other. Putting aside their difference in status and speaking to each other like old friends.