Eleven - Walk Away

A/N: I knooow it's really short and I could have combined this chapter with the last chapter but I like shorter chapters so yeah. Still, I hope you like it!!! 

*****

 - P A S T -

In my entire life there had only been two times that I’d ever woken up feeling disoriented; both after an afternoon nap. It was by far the most difficult feeling to overcome, especially when the room I had woken up in was dark; the only bit of light peeping in from under the closed door.

My eyes searched the room as I remembered that there should be another person in here, but he was nowhere to be seen. I was all alone. He must have left.

Through the walls I could hear music coming from somewhere in the house, though I couldn’t tell where. I was confused as hell until I remembered why I had fallen asleep on the couch in the first place.

My hand found its way to my face where my cheek was still wet, as I was sure they would be for the remainder of the night at least. I took a deep breath and ran a hand through my tangled hair, before sitting up. My bare feet reached the carpet and I pushed myself up, hugging the quilt around my shoulders.

I didn’t feel like doing anything but I had to speak to the only person who’d know what to say; who always knew what to say; my mother.  

I stumbled my way through the dark until I felt the cool handle. I slid the door out of my way and was greeted by the artificial lighting down the hallway. From what I could gather, it was dark outside, meaning it would have to have been later than eight. I padded down the hall, the music getting louder as I neared the kitchen.

When I came into view I realised my mother was alone at the bench, the music from the radio loud enough to reach my room upstairs. In her hands was the iPad and above her, the clock read 10:32pm. Damn, I had slept for a while.

That would explain why there was no six year old bouncing around.

“Good morning,” Mum’s voice reached me over the radio. She was sitting cross legged on the stool at the counter, her blonde hair pulled into a messy bun while her eyes looked like they were about to fall out of her head. But more than just tiredness showed on her face; worry was also present, showing through the creases on her forehead.

“Evening,” I greeted, dragging myself to the radio so that I could turn it down. I didn’t mind the music, but not that loud.

“Do you want to talk about it, sweetie?” She asked, closing her iPad and setting it aside.

I nodded, feeling the emotions work their way back to the surface. In between the tears I managed to explain to her what had happened with Anna; from her ditching me at the study room to the way she looked at me as if I meant nothing to her.

Mum’s face turned to one of utter disgust by the end, but somehow her face also showed sympathy. She stood up from her stool and came around the bench, pulling me into a hug. I rested my head on her shoulder as the tears streamed down my face.

“Hmm,” she said into my hair. “You want to know what I think?”

I nodded.

“I think that if she was a true friend, she wouldn’t have left so easily. True friends stick by your side no matter what happens and Anna was never that. It may have seemed like it, but she wasn’t there for you, Lena. I think we both know that.”

I guess… I thought. I was always the one there for her. She never really was there for me. Not for the important stuff.