Seven - Paint The Town Green

- P A S T - 

It didn’t take me long to cycle down to the river. The clouds above were as dark as charcoal, meaning the rain was going to start very soon. In the late afternoon the cicadas were chirping in the grass along the footpath, quieting when I rode by.

Instead of getting my jeans sandy I decided to sit on the sea wall instead. I swung my legs off my bike and parked it under the tree, not bothering to put a lock on it. In my small town, there was no need to. No one would take it, even if anyone was around.

I crossed my legs on the rocky wall and cuddled into my hoodie, reminding myself to thank my mother for the idea to get out of my white t-shirt.

The tide was on its way out and the rain had just started to fall. The beach was deserted and the drops of water were creating rings in the calm river. Despite the rain it was as still as a statue, meaning it was unlikely for a storm to be coming.

I stayed down there ‘til dark before riding home, sticking to the main streets where the street lights were. Mum and Lani were waiting at the front door with a towel when I pedalled into the driveway and I spent the rest of the night trying to warm up.

In the morning I woke by the buzz of my phone on my bedside table. I squinted against the light when I opened my eyes while reaching over to grab my phone.

Two text messages were on the lock screen, one from Anna and one from Isaiah. I opened the one from Anna.

Hey chick! Want 2 grab a coffee @ ur bakery? 11am?

Considering I had nothing planned for the day I agreed, saying I’d meet here there at half past eleven. It was ten thirty now and I wouldn’t be ready in time. The message from Isaiah was from late last night, after I went to bed. But it was just a simple greeting and I couldn’t be bothered replying. I locked my phone.

Leilani was at ballet this morning meaning both her and Mum would be out until one. My denim jeans were still on my floor from work the day before so I picked those up and wriggled into them before slipping on a loose grey singlet.

My ensuite was through the door on the left side of my room, next to my wardrobe. I brushed on a light layer of make-up, threw some things in my navy shoulder bag and left the house, locking it behind me.

It took fifteen minutes on foot to our café-bakery. With the sun shining like it was, you would have never thought it was raining the evening before.

“Hey chicky,” I heard my best friend’s voice call from behind me. Anna was strutting down the sidewalk in her high heeled ankle boots, black skinny jeans and patterned, green and orange crop. Her orange hair was slick over her shoulders and she was holding her tote bag in her hand.

I smiled. “Hey.”

“Okay get this right,” Anna started, not leaving any time to spare. “Jason was texting me last night and, oh, wait. I’ll tell you when we’re out the back.”

I pushed in through the door and was hit with a wall of noise. Lacey was at the counter again and smiled at me before taking someone’s order. Patrick was on coffees as he was almost every weekend. I slid by him with a greeting before leading my best friend to the backyard. The screen door was closed; a good sign. No one was out there.

The vines were growing over the red bricks of the café, signalling winter’s end which would be upon us soon. When summer came we would have to cut the vines back or else they’d close over the door.

The pebbles clattered underfoot as we made our way to the wooden table where the popular group had sat the day before. I sat halfway down the bench. Anna sat opposite me.