Chapter 23

I wake up from my small nap I had in my uncomfortable, rough, itchy hospital bed. Marina had already told me that she healed everyone as soon as they got out of the hospital, as to avoid in suspicion. But apparently I got injured the worse with a puncture to the top right of my lung. The metal only just grazed it though so it’s not too bad. The doctor said that I could get out of the hospital this afternoon, but I know as soon as I get out, I’m going straight to Marina; I can’t stand one more second of pain, and freaking medicine. It doesn’t work anyway, I don’t even know why they bother, maybe my immune system just eats it a lot faster than humans but who knows.

I peer over to the right and see that Marina is sitting by the door, her head slightly slanted to the side, she must fallen asleep, I don’t really know why she stays, I’ll be out soon, but she insists because apparently I could be endanger when I’m sleeping, even know our group has been patrolling the boundary of the hospital.

I wriggle the blanket off my pale skinny legs; they haven’t seen much sun lately considering I’m stuck in this hell hole so they aren’t looking very healthy. I slowly stand up, my head swaying from side to side a bit from the sudden change in motion. I quickly move over to Marina, shaking her shoulder slightly. Her eyes look up, all groggy and tired, when she locks with my face, a smile appears.

“Hey sleeping beauty, you finally up now?” She says to me matched with her sassy little smile.

“I could say the same to you missy.” I reply my eyebrow rising with a slight smirk. She answers with a slight giggle and we start to talk about how things have been going, careful not to give too much away because of the camera’s in the hallway facing the inside of my room. We both laugh heartily as a see a figure come in view in the doorframe of my door. I peer over and realise that its Nate.

I look straight to the ground, “What are you doing here?” I say my mood lowering.

“I wanted to see you.” He replies with a hopeful smile

“I don’t want to see you right now,” I reply coldly, but obvious that guilt covered my voice.

“Look, I don’t get it, I thought we were okay, all of a sudden this comes out when you could have mentioned it weeks ago?” He asks, confusion lacing his voice.

“I don’t know, I ignored it for a while, and eventually I convinced myself that you didn’t abandon me. But last night I had a flashback of that day.” I say my eyes returning to the ground, but still slightly focused on him. His eyes hold guilt and regret.

“I’m sorry, I regret it, I should have stayed, and I thought about coming back so many times, I could just never imagine what I would say to you, I couldn’t think of an excuse. Now I realise there is no excuse, I’m sorry, Jen, I-I Love you. And I’m sorry, I’m sorry for leaving you, I’m sorry for not coming back, please just give me another chance, please forgive me.” His chocolate brown eyes with pure hope yet misery overtakes them.

I look him dead in the eye, trying to keep my face emotionless. “I’m sorry too, but right now, I need time. I need to figure out how to trust you again.” I tell him, trying to keep my emotions from showing, I turn away, signalling for him to leave. On the inside honestly, I’m dying, he just told me he loved me, and I turned him away, he is the one that has kept me going, but right now I just feel vulnerable, I feel betrayed, I’m scared, I’m scared he’ll hurt me again. I start to tear slightly.

I feel a hand run in a circular motion on my back. “It’s gonna be fine, you don’t need him anyway.”

I wipe my tears and turn around, putting my guard back up. “It’s fine, like whatever.” I say, shaking my head.

“Darling, don’t shut me out, you don’t have to be strong around me.” She replies, her eyebrows furrowing in the process.

“I’m not..” I struggle to hold back tears, my eyes starting to water. Marina envelopes me in her arms, hugging me tightly, I just can’t help it, my eyes start to pour with tears, each one rolling singly down my cheek. As the last tear slowly cascades down my rosy cheek I hear glass smashing down the hall, accompanied with the already well known sound of a Mog cannon. Oh you have got to be kidding me! Can’t I freaking catch a break!

A.N: Hey guys, I thank you guys so much for all your support, voting, commenting. I literally love you all so much. Sadly it’s a short chapter, but I’m writing during my break of exam revision so don’t worry this won’t become a regular thing. I’m sorry for any of you Jen and Nate shippers, but I’ve been planning it for a while, we’ll just have to wait and see what happens now.