Chapter 15

Faintly I hear yelling and screaming from a distance. I shoot up from my bed, my warm cosy feet hitting the stone cold floor. I peer out the small rectangle window from my bedroom. It’s just past 11 o’clock; I can see a brightening orange glow just past a few buildings a few blocks away. The glow is rising and getting brighter.

A small thud sounds from the other room, almost instantly Nate is standing right next to me. BK barks at me from just beside my feet. I pick him up off the floor and hold him in my arms, giving him a view from the window also.

“Should we go check it out?” I ask questioningly               

“It could be a trap.” Nate answers cautiously

“I’ll go survey the surroundings first. Check what’s going on.” I say

I open the door to the balcony, peek my head just around the corner, I turn my head slowly to the right then to the left. I catch a glimpse of a dark shadow off to my left, a few rooms across from mine.

I move my head back in and point over to where I saw the shadow.

“There’s someone over there.” I whisper

Nate thinks for a bit, his eyes light up with a joyful gleam. He rushes out my door and back into the main lounge room of our apartment. He rushes over to a cupboard sitting in the kitchen. Moving a few things, I hear ruffling of different objects probably pots and pans. Nate stands back up bring out his wooden Loric chest. Plopping it on the counter he opens the lock and starts searching through the chest.

Eventually he brings out a violet coloured crystal with streaks of grey covering the surface. A grin spreads over his face and he tosses the crystal to me. I swiftly catch it in the palm of my hand and look questioningly towards Nate.

“What am I suppose to do with this?” I ask like it’s the most stupidest thing he’s ever done.

“Hold it to your chest. It’s a camouflage crystal. It changes your skin and clothes to the colours around you. You close your eyes and mouth and you’re almost invisible. Cool huh?” He says a goofy grin plastering his face.

 I hesitantly move it towards my chest, my heart rate is picking up, what if it does something weird to me? What if it doesn’t work? Without even realising it, its touching the surface of my skin. The crystal has a smooth covering it feels almost like its liquid. The rock instantly changes colour, the same as the wallpaper on the walls. A few seconds later my whole body is covered with the same colours as the walls.

To test the crystal I move to the wall placing my back against the hard surface.

“Can you see me?” I ask

“You have your eyes open dimwit, I can see your iris’ he answers sarcastically.

I blush from his remark thankful for the crystal, embarrassed because of how stupid I would of sounded. I close my eyes and steady my breathing, using my telekinesis to feel across my surroundings, trying my best to make no noise.

“Try and find me. Use your hands, no telekinesis.”

I picture his lips pouting at my statement. He really likes using his telekinesis.

“I found you!” He yells. I hear the swift movement of his arms further away from me but still close to the wall.

“What!? Damn you Jen!” he calls angrily.

I open my eyes and move swiftly behind him. He is still looking along the wall. I wrap my arms around his waist so quick I feel his whole body tense and jump at the same time.