Chapter 12 - Randall's Mistake

Start from the beginning

Randall began to wiggle his way after the men, rolling onto his side. I stared down at him in disbelief. If there was one thing I admired about this boy, it was his determination. Everything else I despised.

"I'm just some guy," He croaked dramatically. "I used to watch football and screw around on the internet. I lived with my mom! I lost her like you lost people."

"I went to school with Maggie for God's sake!"

Maggie?

This seemed to be a final resort for him, he burst the words out like they was his only hope. Was this his plan all along? And who the hell was Maggie, and what did she have to do with these people?

In some kind of miracle, the two men stopped dead in their tracks, glancing to each other in uncertainty.

Randall seized the opportunity, and continued his pleading. "I went to church," Rick turned around, his face pale. This didn't feel right. Something was wrong here, but Randall continued anyway. "I rode the bench on varsity baseball."

Rick made his way towards us.

"You went to school with Maggie?" He demanded, his voice deep and somehow unsettling. This was very bad, whatever it was. Who was Maggie?

"You go to school with Maggie?" Shane repeated almost immediately, his face scanning over the boy, who had now pushed himself forward on his stomach in anticipation. "Answer the question! Did you go to school with Maggie?"

"I.." Randall seemed to get the idea, as Shane barged up like an angry bull. Rick fell to the back, watching my face as this situation went downhill. I stared down at my feet, not wanting to be associated with whatever the hell Randall was on about. "She didn't know me. Didn't even know I existed." He looked scared now, and if that was his plan then it had backfired majorly.

Was she someone at their camp? That must've been his great idea. He thought that knowing someone from their camp was going to spare our lives.

"I mean, I knew her. I knew who her dad was." He fumbled for words, as Rick watched my face. I stared back at him, in an attempt to be fierce, although I probably looked like a deer in headlights. "There is no way I would ever do anything to hurt her or her family."

Lie.

"Jesus," I heard Shane mutter, rubbing both hands over his almost bald head.

Something was so wrong. I could just tell by the fact they had both turned away, contemplating what to do next.

"Or you!" Randall added, his voice getting squeaky as he continued. "Or your people!"

"I'm not like the guys I was with!" He insisted.

Lie.

They muttered to themselves, Shane seeming to be the one talking. Randall was breathing heavily beside me, and I knew all hope was lost at that point.

This Maggie person was someone at the camp, meaning Randall knew all along where we were. That was his plan. He was going to escape, and go back to camp. Randall's great escape plan had backfired.

Now it's all over.

In a matter of seconds, Shane pulled the gun from his pants and aimed it at Randall.

"Shane, no!" Rick shouted, He jumped to hit the gun away just as it had fired. I didn't have time to react, but as soon as the realisation of what was happening hit me, I wriggled back on my knees. In the corner of my eyes, I could see Randall rolling sideways, obviously missing the bullet by an inch.