1.4

july 26, 1985
everything was awkward within the party. mike refused to see eleven and eleven refused to see mike. everybody else had to take turns hanging out with the two of them to make sure it didn't seem like they were picking sides.

right now, max and will were with mike while dustin and lucas were with el. max was clearly getting fed up with the party being split up most of the time.

"mike, you have to apologise to her," max finally said, watching mike carefully from where she sat at his desk. will and mike were sitting beside each other on mike's bed, closer than what should be considered normal, but nobody said anything.

"i will when she apologises to me," mike answered bluntly.

"mike-" max was trying to keep her voice friendly, "-she did apologise to you."

"no, she apologised for breaking my wrist. she didn't apologise for any of the shit she said to me." mike's fist laying on the bed beside will was clenched. "i don't see why i have to be the one to apologise first."

"so you do wanna apologise?" max asked.

"of course i want to apologise! i was an asshole, but she was being a bitch. i just want her to apologise first."

"why do you want her to apologise first?" max crossed her arms. by the look on her face, will could tell she already knew. mike shrugged. max raised her eyebrow. "it's because of your giant fucking ego."

"not true!" mike spat. will made eye contact with max. it was true. max wasn't wrong.

"mike..." will said softly. mike looked at him and his features softened.

"mike, you just need to be the bigger person here. grow up and apologise first." max's voice was very stern.

"fine. i'll apologise." after mike said that, max's face lit up with relief. she opened her mouth to respond, but mike bet her to it. "after my wrist heals." he held up his wrist, which was now contained in a cast. it had signatures written on it from the whole party, except, of course, eleven.

"mike—" max looked defeated. "—didn't you say it would take like, two months for that break to heal?"

"mike, stop being stupid," will spoke up, glaring at mike sternly. mike looked at him with disbelief. "the stuff you said to her was meaner than the stuff she said to you."

"how would you know? you weren't there!" mike was clearly getting annoyed. "she claimed that i am in love with you, will, which is just so ridiculous because we are both straight." will noticed how mike had slightly moved away from will while saying this.

"yeah, and you called her a weirdo with your reasonings being for things she can't help!" max shook her head. "you are an asshole, wheeler." max glanced at will, a look of sympathy on her face, and stood up. "i've gotta head home."

"why?" mike asked.

"i'm having lunch with my family. i told you this when i got here, mike." max rolled her eyes.

"what? no you didn't!"

"yes... she did, mike." will shook his head. god, why do i like this asshole?

"ugh, you know what? fine. yeah, sorry. i didn't hear you." mike rolled his eyes. "goodbye, maxine."

max narrowed her eyes at him before flashing a friendly smile at will. "see you later, will!"

"bye." he smiled back. she left the room, closing the door behind her.

it was painfully silent for a minute or so before will spoke up, nervousness making his voice shake. "mike?"

"yeah? what's up?" mike had moved closer to will again.

"you... you know what you said before, why it's ridiculous that el thinks that you're 'in love with me?'"

"yeah... because we're both straight?" mike's head was tilted in confusion, and will hated it because it just made mike look cuter than he already was.

will took a shaky breath. "that's the thing, mike. i'm
not."

mike's expression didn't change. "what?"

"i'm gay, mike." will thought that he was going to cry. he told mike. he told mike!

mike chewed his lip in thought before carefully replying. "i'm sorry."

will felt his heart drop. why was mike sorry? why the hell was mike sorry? "w-why?"

"because now i know why you got so upset when i called you a p—" oh. "—a pan... a pansy. i'm so fucking sorry."

"it's okay."

"it's not okay! i treated you like shit and insulted you and for the whole fucking summer i've been acting really fucking homophobic but i'm fucking not. i'm sorry."

"mike, it's alright." will could tell that mike was getting flustered and worried. "i forgave you already."

"okay." mike gave will a soft smile. "thank you for telling me, will. thank you for trusting me."

"hey-" will smiled back at him, "-you're my best friend. of course i trust you."

mike opened his mouth, but quickly shut it again. will looked at him in confusion, but mike just shrugged. mike opened his mouth again. "i'm proud of you."

will tried not to blush. "thank you."

mike leaned over and kissed will's cheek. "let's go find something for lunch." he stood up and walked out of his bedroom.

will blushed heavily, having absolutely no idea of what just happened.

author's note
hello yes hi
i'll probably update more frequently over the holidays ! i'm excited
love u guys <333

10:37am— 14 december 2019