Sam and I make it to the cafeteria and I put all thoughts of what's happened in the past month aside when I see Zeke waiting for us in our usual spot. He's listening to music, ignoring everyone around and with his dark aura raised as a wall between the world and him. It keeps everyone else away and I'm pretty sure he does that purposely, to create that environment around him so no one can approach him.  But then he senses my stare—I don't know if he really can sense it but it seems like that and I have no clue how he does it—and looks up, our eyes meeting as a smile comes to my lips and one of his honest grins shows on his. He waves at us and that dark aura disappears completely. We wave back at him before queuing for our food and joining him.

"You're here early," Sam comments as we sit down: I across from Zeke, and Sam next to me. We always sit like this, it's natural for us now.

"Class finished early," he replies with a shrug. "I didn't have anything better to do so I came here to wait."

"But you didn't get anything," I note seeing the empty surface in front of him.

"I'm not hungry," he replies offhandedly but I ignore that answer and grab the portion of extra chips I asked for and put it in front of him. It's not the healthiest option but it's something. I also cut half of my chicken portion and put it with the chips.

"You have to eat," I say grabbing one of my own chips and eating it.

I look up and his eyes are on me, intent and serious. The kind smile that was on display before is gone and my heart races at the weight of his gaze on me. "Thank you," he says softly, grabbing one of the chips I gave him and eating it.

I just nod in acknowledgment and focus on my food, but from the corner of my eye I notice Sam staring at us both, an amused smile on her lips. "What?" I ask her because it looks like se knows something I don't.

"Nothing," she says shaking her head but the smile is still there, kind of mocking me. "I just think it's cute," she adds and now I'm confused. I look at Zeke wondering if he understands but he is avoiding my eyes and too focused on his food, but I do notice a light blush on his cheeks.

"Sam!" I insist and she chuckles.

"It's nothing, Allie! Anyhow, don't you love this time of the year?" she asks, clearly changing the topic and I let it go. I can ask her later if I really want to know. Maybe she's right and it's not important.

"Autumn is my favourite season," Zeke comments and I have to agree. It's a very calm and comfortable season. Not too cold and I like the colours around.

"Plus, it's Halloween!" Sam exclaims next, really excited.

"I've never done something for Halloween, it's another silly capitalist tradition," I say what I've heard my parents repeat many times. It's what they told me the only time I asked why all the kids came asking for candies.

"By now that doesn't surprise me," is Sam's comment and Zeke and her chuckle. "It'd surprise me that you actually celebrate Halloween. But really, you've never worn a costume and asked for candies?" she asks and I shake my head. I can see the pity in her eyes and I laugh at it. "That's so sad."

"I dunno, it doesn't seem like a big deal to me. Any kind of festivity sound like a capitalist tradition for me," I reply and she shrugs.

"True, but you still can have fun, right, Zeke?" she asks and he nods, still eating chips.

"So, should we get costumes and go out asking for candies?" I inquire and she laughs.

"I think we are too old for that," is her response and I pout. I want candies now that we are talking about it. "The costume part is fine, but no one would give us candy which is what we really want, right?"

"Totally!" I say with too much energy, Sam and Zeke chuckle. I really enjoy when I make them laugh. "So if we can't get candies I think it's pointless, life has no meaning."

"There are always other ways," she adds with a wink and I only smile, listening. "One of my classmates, Jane, is having a party. It's something she does every year and before that her sister. It's kind of a tradition. And everyone is invited and of course it's a costume party so maybe we could go," Sam explains.

Sam is not the party type and of course neither am I, so it's unusual of her to propose such an idea. I don't know Jane but during this month I've heard murmurs of Jane's party, especially during this week, so I think it's a popular thing. Now, I'm curious why Sam would suggest to go to a party when it's clear that it's not our natural environment, neither Zeke's because he's quite asocial, to the point we are his only friends around his age.

"Hhmm I dunno, I don't even know if I could know what to do in a party," I say. I like trying new things but for some reason a party doesn't sound like my cup of tea.

I look at Zeke and he doesn't even look interested in the conversation, which also supports my idea that it's not the best suggestion for Halloween. I don't even care about Halloween and I'm sure that the festivity is just an excuse for a party so it really has no meaning.

"But you could try to go at least to one and Jane's Halloween party is really nice. I went last year and the music is great, the place is great, it’s packed with snacks and you get to wear a costume. I think it's a win-win," she explains. "It's like a good opportunity for you to know what a party is and if you like them without endangering your life… too much."

"Hhmm," I mumble again.

"Don't you wanna go, Zeke?" Sam asks him and he looks up, totally unaware of what we're talking about. His expression is blank. "To Jane's party," she provides for him so he can know what we're taking about.

"Oh, that. No, I don't like these kind of parties," he replies and goes back to his chips. He eats slowly.

"Bummer," she shrugs unaffected but then looks at me again. "I just wanna wear a costume without people judging me for it," she tells me and I laugh. “And the snacks, too.”

I've never worn a costume, so that part could be fun. And it's true that I need to try before saying I don't like parties. If Sam says this is a nice one, she must be right. I really trust her judgment and I know she wouldn’t invite me to a wild and hard-to-handle party. And who knows? Maybe I'll have fun and enjoy it. It's part of being a teen to go to a party.

"Fine," I agree. "This Friday, right? On the thirty-first," I confirm and she nods happily. "Okay, I'll ask my parents."

"Great!" she exclaims clapping. "I hope they let you go. You can stay at my place if that helps to put your parents at ease." I nod in agreement before she leans in closer. "Ask Zeke to come with us," she whispers to me and I furrow my brows.

"But he said he didn't—"

"Ask him," she insists, cutting me off.

Her insistence confuses me but I shrug and I agree so I turn to look at him. When he eats the last chip I call his name. "Hey Zeke, don't you really wanna come with us?"

His eyes widen when he looks at me, clearly surprised. "You're going?" he questions and I nod in response. "Oh, then I think I should go, too."

I smile brightly, more excited now that I know Sam and Zeke will go. I look at Sam and she smiles knowingly at me and I'm just happy. Now I just need to convince my parents to let me go. They are more used to the new me so it shouldn't be that hard, right? 

-:-:-

If I hadn't got behind in my writing schedule the Halloween party chapter would've fit the date D: anyhow, this story is taking palce around this time and year. Just to let you know!

Bel, xx