XVI: Bonding

I try not to overthink the situation. If he's avoiding me there must be a reason and it must be a good one. Even if it seems that it doesn't make sense, that only means I don't understand. I already know Zeke doesn't just do things at random, he's deeper than that. I ease my curiosity by telling myself that I'll ask him the next chance I get.

But I don't get a chance until we have literature together and even then he arrives at the teacher's tail.

During the weekend I studied every second so I wouldn't think about this. On Monday I was looking for him to no avail. I never saw him that day. On Tuesday morning I saw him but he once again pretended I wasn't there. I thought of calling his name but then realised it would be better if I didn't. It's likely he is mad at me for some reason. Maybe he saw me doing something, maybe he didn't like that I told Sam about him. Or something else I'm not aware of. But I'm sure we can talk it through. I doubt he showed me that side of him to never talk to me again. That wouldn't make sense.

During class I steal glances at him but he never looks up. I try to also keep up with the class so I won't be embarrassed again and I can participate. Today we are discussing a short story by Ernest Hemingway, "White Hills Like Elephants" and we are discussing the symbolism within the story. It's a story I really liked and I feel bad for not paying full attention, but Zeke consumes me right now.

He looks even more unapproachable than before. Even our classmates keep more distance with him, they are more careful. Everyone pretends he's not there but I'm staring, hoping he'll look up and give me a small smile that tell me that going to that orphanage wasn't the only time we'll ever talk.

But he never does. He keeps his eyes on his notebook, on a page where he's doodling. I don't even think he's paying attention.

"Zeke," our teacher calls but Zeke doesn't show any sign of recognition. "You're always quiet and you know participation is key now so why don't you tell us what the hills represent?"

Without looking up, without even stopping his doodling he says, "fertility. The mention of elephants refers to the fact there's a big issue in their relationship they are not discussing and white elephants represent fertility, which must be the topic causing trouble."

Everyone is silent. Even the teacher is surprised that he spoke so clearly and without a hint of hesitation. And he didn't even say something someone else has said so he must've had been paying attention the whole time.

I grin to myself when I realise he's not just keeping a seat warm, he's actually listening and reading as well.

"W-well done," Mr Gayle says and my grin widens because his plan failed. He was hoping to catch Zeke's off guard.

For a second Zeke looks up and our eyes meet, he sees me grinning and I think his lips curl up but I'm not sure, the next second he's looking down again.

When the class is finally dismissed, Zeke is the first to leave and I have to grab my things as fast as I can to run after him. I won't let him go away without knowing his reason. I just want to understand, if he wants me to pretend we've never talked, I will. I just need to know that's what he wants and why.

"Zeke!" I call out, running behind him. Some other people turn to look at me and he only walks faster so I have to run even faster to catch up with him. "Zeke, wait please."

He turns on the next corner and I do the same but I bump into him.

"Ouch," I say taking a step back. Zeke is there, looking everywhere in that threatening way and the students decide to choose another path.

"Hey, I'll be brief so don't worry I just want to know why. Why you're ignoring me like this. Did I do something to annoy you?" I ask in a hurry.

He looks around again, making sure no one is watching us.