Chapter 7

I check my phone screen for the 12th time. She is running 45 minutes late. It is a Saturday. She doesn't have school and she told me that the time and place was okay. I take another sip of my coffee and I see a teenage girl walk into the cafe. Then following behind her are two adult figures. The teenage girl locks eyes with me and rushes towards me.

"Before you get mad at me, I couldn't stop them. I'm sorry," she says panting.

"What are you talking about?" I ask standing up trying to calm her down. I take a look at her and it feels like I'm looking at my teenage self. She is a replica of me. The two figures walk up behind her.

"Daphne, who is your friend here?" The woman asks with bitterness in her tone.

"Uh, Mom, Dad. This is my friend, Ophelia." Wait, Mom? Dad? I look at them closer and I notice similarities between the four of us standing here. These are the people that left me alone. These are the people who caused my fear. They are the people that destroyed my childhood.

"Um, hi," I say awkwardly. Daphne shifts nervously in her spot and she looks at me with fear in her eyes. Is she scared of me? Or is she scared of them?

"Well, Daphne, you wanted to meet your sister and you did. Now, let's go," her mother says pulling on her arm. Wait, so they know it's me?

It is not like I expected to take me in with open arms. But it hurts to know that I was never really wanted, even if it isn't explicitly said.

"Mom, let me talk to her alone. I waited years for a sister or even a sibling," Daphne says pleading with her mother. What are these people's problem? Let her talk to me, dammit.

"Jennifer and Christian Lockhart, I always wondered about the day that I would meet you guys. Can I say, I'm really not disappointed. You left me when I was 10, I'm surprised you made it to 14 with her." Anger grows in their eyes at my words.

"Oh, sorry did I pinch a nerve?" Jennifer lunges at me, but both Christian and Daphne move in front of her, stopping her. Why would he do that?

"Mom, let's go. I'm sorry Ophelia. I'll talk to you later." She ushers her parents out of the cafe and I lock eyes with my birth mother. I wish I could say she had regret in her eyes, but there is nothing. These people don't care.

I can't leave Daphne with them.

But I can't stay here.

I never thought that I would say this, but I need someone. I need him. I open my email and I click the phone number attached to his profile.

Hello? This is Jasper Atwater.

"Jasper," I say panicked.

Lia? Is everything okay?

"Um, I don't know. I just need someone, please," I say shakingly.

Lia, where are you at?

"Starbucks on Grand."

Just stay where you are. I'll be there soon.

The call clicks and tears pour down my face. Is this what a panic attack feels like?

Jasper didn't know what was going on when he got that phone call from me. He had gone into the office to distract himself. He just didn't expect to get a panicked phone call from me. He shuts his laptop and grabs his things and practically runs out of the building to his car. Breaking all the speed barriers, he makes it there in record time walking in to see me in the corner with tears in my eyes. He instinctively wraps his arms around me pulling me into his chest.