FILE ENTRY 4.0

Electra Draco

Electra Draco strolls down the hallway leading to the office of Grayson Flux with her personal assistant, Cygnus Lo at her side. As Space Venture's president and CEO, she ponders the viability of her second most prized possession, the Neptune Shores Beach Resort. According to rules set forth by the Interplanetary Federation, Space Venture must release its yearly financial reports to its employees and make those reports available for public record, something she once dreaded to do. With the corporation's moon and Mars resorts providing limited income, Draco admits she placed the company's survival on the success of Neptune Shores. Fortunately, she conceived of the plans for the space cruise ship. It was a stroke of genius, but the question remains: will this new venture keep the corporation afloat for future generations, or send it to the bottom of the celestial sea?

Draco wrinkles her nose. The smoky-sweet odor of tobacco wafts through the air. As she walks, she leans in close to Lo. "Give me a status report on the board members?"

Her assistant brings up a hologram on his tablet. The image shows a layout of the resort with tiny red dots moving along the inner corridors. "Estimated time of arrival is five minutes," he says. "They just entered the end of the concourse and are in route as we speak."

Draco halts at the door. "Good. When they arrive, have them stand at the back. Have the staff bring the champagne to the center of the room, and last, make sure you video the celebration and upload it to the data stream afterwards."

"There's one slight problem." Lo looks up as Draco towers over him. He grins sheepishly. "Didn't Flux tell you about the communication arrays?"

"No, he did not."

"Damaged by micrometeoroids. Repairs are underway, but at the moment we can't upload to the stream."

"Fine. Do it as soon as we get on the ship."

"As you wish."

Draco turns from Lo and pushes through the door without knocking. It was already ajar. As she sweeps into the office, Flux stands in his black suit, back to them, hands behind him. He peers out over his territory through the wide picture window, his eyes aiming down toward the beach. When Flux hears the movement of air, he swivels on his heels and faces Draco and Lo.

As president and CEO, and majority shareholder of Space Venture, Draco demands respect and cooperation from those under her charge, everyone except Grayson Flux. She has the final say, but she gives him a certain leeway she doesn't give others. As a businessman, he's intelligent and shrewd, as hard as a polycrystalline diamond bit on a drill rig in the asteroid belt.

"I don't appreciate you giving Mintaka the order to proceed." Flux stabs Draco with accusing eyes. "That was my order to give, and you know it."

"I think you don't understand the gravity of our situation." Draco glances at Lo. "Shut the door."

"But the board members are coming."

"Do it now." Hot rage kindles under Draco's skin. She dreaded having this confrontation with Flux for weeks, but it must be done. "Now, Cygnus."

Lo heeds the order and twists the old fashion lock on the knob for good measure.

"Our future is riding on the success of the Celestial Sea. Our books are in the red. Deep in the red, and the inaugural cruise has almost brought us back from the brink. We've almost broken even."

Flux curses and stares evenly at Draco. "I'm aware of that, but a decision this important should be made—"

"By me," Draco says. "Must I remind you of your place, Grayson?"