Part 23: Faithful Friends

Start from the beginning

"Ode to Joy, is it? How cliché!"

As soon as she played the last keys, the piano sank in the floor and a panel opened in the wall behind it, revealing a computer.

The batcomputer reported activity in Stern's office and Alfred sent the video to the Tumbler's screens.

"I believe you have a dinner appointment to make, sir."

"Thanks, Alfred." Batman replied and disconnected. What was it today, National quip day?

The Tumbler parked on the rooftop and Batman stepped out, immediately hearing the gunfire. He sighed in frustration for the millionth time that night and blasted off the elevator hatch as his point of entry.

Catwoman ran through the tower, leading her assailants in a chance. She'd lost some in the vents, leaving cat spikes behind her, and escaped into the elevator shaft. It was such a cliché move that even her enemies knew of it, so just as she had managed to jump on one of the ropes, someone cut the other one and Selina almost fell.

Almost, that is. Just as she was certain for doom, someone caught her wrist and she looked up to see the Batman. Catwoman didn't know if this was better, or worse.

"Hey. What's up?"

"Just hanging around."

The Batman. Making quips. She was definitely in trouble.

"Over here!" Someone shouted from the vent.

Batman tossed in a gas bomb and propelled himself up to the roof, taking Catwoman with him.

"What are you doing here?" Batman asked once they were stable on their feet.

"I'd ask you the same question but we haven't got much time. Something's up with the lion mountain site."

"I'll check it out. You're going home." He ordered her and began walking to his car. She cut him off.

"Either you take me with you, or you can expect to have your path crossed by a black cat later tonight. Your choice."

Batman knew she wasn't bluffing and reluctantly let her into the Tumbler. He put in the coordinates for the construction site and made a call on his way there.

"You have the case?" He asked the person who picked up.

"Negative!" A woman's voice replied. She sounded busy.

"There are too many hostiles. We're still keeping them busy. Red Claw made off with the plague." She explained.

"You'll never guess!" A young man's voice added, "Red Claw's a woman."

Selina was impressed, but Batman just swore.

"I know where she's going. Need a ten mile perimeter around the MIGHT construction site."

"We'll get on that next." The boy replied and signed off.

"The resort sight?" Catwoman asked as Batman slammed on the gas pedal.

"Might is working with Red Claw. The resort is a front for terrorist activity."

"That's what the plans were on the computer."