Chapter 14: Wake

A/N: This is back in Bella's point of view

Chapter 14: Wake

I heard Renesmee’s heart weaken and then slowly it halted. It didn’t restart. I became worried as I sat on the stairs waiting for news of the arrival of my granddaughter. The suspense was hard and terrifying. It had been fatal since Renesmee’s heart had stopped and Rosalie and I exchanged nervous glances.

“They can’t keep me out if it is my daughter in there,” I told Rosalie as I got up.

“Bella, you mustn’t,” Rosalie begged me.

“Renesmee is my daughter; I should have been in there from the start. They need an extra set of hands if they are going to get her heart going again,” I told her as I walked towards the door. I heard the panicked breathing of Jacob. I hesitated slightly before I walked in.

“Bella, get Renesmee’s hands out of the way so Jacob can start reworking her heart properly,” Carlisle ordered. I saw him fighting with Renesmee’s stomach. The places he cut just kept healing over and they were not going to use their teeth in fear they could poison Renesmee.

I took my daughter’s hands from Jacob’s and moved them so they were over her head so Jacob could start CPR. His hands thudded against her chest angrily. “STAY WITH ME!” he yelled at her limp body. He breathed into his mouth once and then she started breathing faintly. He thudded against her chest over and over again.

Tears started to stream down his cheeks as Renesmee started to breath for herself. Jacob and I smiled at each other in relief.

We were lost in the sound of Renesmee’s breathing when a cry broke through our concentration.

“You can let go of her skin now,” Carlisle told Edward.

“Roseanne?” Jacob asked Carlisle.

“Congratulations,” Carlisle smiled at Jacob as he wrapped the baby up in a cloth and handed her to him.

Jacob’s face glowed with happiness as he stared down at his daughter.

“Welcome to the world of parenthood,” I told him gently. I nudged Renesmee gently and her eyelids fluttered. “Do you want to meet your baby?” I asked her.

“Roseanne Ella?” she asked dazed.

“Who else?” Jacob laughed as he gave the baby to her.

“So pretty,” Renesmee sighed. “Meet your grandma,” she said after just five seconds of holding the baby. She handed her over to me.

Indeed my granddaughter was beautiful. She had chocolate eyes; the exact same colour on Renesmee’s. Her hair was light brown and wavy. She opened her mouth in a yawn; no teeth this time. Her nose was buttoned. Her skin was the same temperature as Renesmee’s and her skin was the colour of a tanned person.

She was adorable; I couldn’t help but stare in astonishment. “Meet Grandpa,” I said after a minute or two of astonishment. Edward immediately grabbed the baby from my arms and into his gentle embrace.

“Hello,” he whispered. He bent his head down to kiss Roseanne’s forehead gently. He let out a big breath. “Human scent,” he breathed as he pulled his head away. I realized that everyone except for Jacob and Renesmee had been holding their breath.

Roseanne was passed onto Carlisle next. Carlisle gently held Roseanne for a few seconds before he gave her back to Renesmee. “I should leave you guys alone,” he said gently as he left the room. I heard Esme, Alice and Rosalie meet him at the stairs. They discussed their concerns.

“We should leave too,” I told Renesmee gently. “Let you three experience a moment.”

“Thank you,” Renesmee smiled at me. I dragged Edward out of the room. I shut the door behind us.

“Grandparents,” Edward muttered. “Never thought the day would come around,” he laughed quietly.

“I did,” I said.

“Yes, but you believe in anything,” Edward rolled his eyes and pulled me into his arms.

“Anything, huh?” I asked and I raised one eyebrow.

“You were always opened minded, willing to believe anything could happen,” he smiled and lent closer to kiss my forehead.

“Well you weren’t open-minded,” I said accusingly. “Someone had to be.”

“I suppose that is true,” he smiled pleasantly. He scooped me up in his arms and carried me towards his room –or rather our main room. He placed me gently down on my feet just after the threshold so he could lock the door behind us so no one could disturb us.

I started walking away from him playfully and giggled when he caught me around the waist and dragged me back towards him.

“You like to get away from me,” he muttered.

“Not particularly, but it is fun,” I laughed as he started to kiss down my arm. “And you never suspect it.”

“It is hard to expect when I can’t read it in your thoughts,” he sighed.

I decided to try something. I would see if I could let my shield down in this type of situation. I wouldn’t tell him what I was doing; I would just hope it worked. I let most of my concentration flow towards the barrier and I slowly tried to let it down.

I was barely aware that I was being moved onto his luscious, comfortable bed. He crouched over me, my shirt ripping underneath his hands. He kissed my throat hungrily, not even aware that my mind was elsewhere. Then all of a sudden he gasped.

“What?” I asked urgently, my mind suddenly snapped back into focus. “What’s wrong? Is it Roseanne?” My motherly extinct took control. ”Is it Renesmee? Jacob?”

“No, love, nothing is wrong. You surprised me,” he sighed as he resumed kissing me. “I didn’t realize you were trying to let me hear your thoughts. Your actions took me by surprise.” He slowly started kissing further down my body.

“I won’t try any more, it takes too much effort,” I sighed as I let my mind focus on him. I started kissing him enthusiastically, caught in the moment just as he was. He rolled us so that I was now on top of him. His clothes ripped easily underneath my fingers.

“These are the moments,” he whispered.

“They are,” I agreed.

I wasn’t aware of my family that would be politely tuning out. I wasn’t even aware of my surroundings; only Edward was in my mind. That was all I could see.

A/N: So even though I didn't get to 5 votes I am feeling extremely generous and think of this chapter as a bit of a Christmas gift. If I don't get to 5 votes I will upload again for New Year's. But if you vote, it means a quicker upload.