Twenty minutes later, I found out that it was my fear that was strongest.

My memory wasn't completely useless. Although I didn't know anything that involved me or my past, I knew everything else. Like how a gang or mob operated, and how dangerous they were. I'd seen how Shayne had given clipped commands to the men in the SUVs to search the perimeter of the isolated gas station we'd driven to. They'd received the commands without question or hesitation.

It then clicked, the reason why I was so afraid of Shayne. I must have found out, before the coma, that she was a blood thirsty monster. Who's to say she wasn't the reason for the coma?

As I pretended to look for a box of tampons, I eyed the silver glock of the gun Shayne had tried to discreetly hide under her shirt. If I made any wrong move, I knew my fate would be met with a bullet from that weapon.

When we went to the counter, I noticed the bearded cashier look at me for a moment too long. It was a shame it didn't resemble a look of recognition, I'd have begged for his help.

Shayne noticed the man's wondering eyes. "Look at her like that for a second longer and I'll make sure you know the nonexistent difference between me and hell."

The poor man hadn't seemed to realize the danger that Shayne was until that very moment. He quickly looked away and got about looking for some change.

"I have to use the bathroom," I said to Shayne, already heading in the direction of the door that had a female icon on it.

I didn't reach far when Shayne grabbed my arm and pulled me to her. Her eyes dug into my very soul. "Don't do anything stupid."

I managed to sound upset. "What could I possibly do? Your gigantic henchmen have the place surrounded and I'm pretty sure I won't get far with these jelly feet."

She narrowed her eyes at me and I gave her an overly defiant look despite the alarming pace of my heartbeat and the burning sensation of her strong grip on my arm.

She let me go. "Be quick."

When I got into the ladies' bathroom, I did use the toilet. The nervousness seemed to overwhelm my blooder. But I also thought out my strategic plan.

Yes, I was trying to escape.

From the moment I'd woken up from the coma, I'd desperately wanted to. This was my chance.

I thanked whoever was looking at me from above when I found an air vent that was a few centimeters off the floor.

The screws easily popped off and I quietly put aside the cover. I started to wiggle through the limited space, the main hindrance being my hips and butt.

A moment later of my spy work, I was able to see some natural light slicing through a vent. Too much luck on my side, I gasped in disbelief when the rusty old vent gave way to my shoving palm.

I crawled out and made sure to stay low. The vent had led me to the back of the building, where a bunch of wooden crates were stacked over each other. About a hundred feet from me was the beginning of a thick woodsy area that would be my way to freedom.