The Battle was won but not the war

After we got into position it began. We waited until the stag was in sight. It's not every day a 15-year-old faces one of the most known killers in the county with a random stranger she met in the woods but look where we are now.

I leaned in closer to get a better look at the stag and just as predicted the stag had Simon, he was alive but on its back asleep. Aoife was no longer in sight but I know he is close by. My heart was pounding and to make matters worse, the woods were silent. Even the stream didn't make a sound.

It was cold and terrifying my only Comfort was the fact it was not completely dark. As the moonlight lit the woods with a gentle glow and it was the brightest on the stream. It was fluorescent but deadly.

I heard the signal that Aoife and I agreed on. A bird noise might be a bit obvious but what choice do we have?

I make myself known to the stag by calling out to it "hello mister stag, would you mind letting my friend go that would be very much appreciated." It turned quickly towards me then suddenly grew in size by 5 metres ripping open its mouth and yelled "you dumb child to think you came to save your friends soul even without having your own. Pathetic creature, so caught up in emotion." It said in a deep voice, that echoed against the tall trees.

The stag then pushed Simon down to the side of the stream gently. It then scraped its hooves back one by one starting to charge at me full speed I hear it coming closer making it harder not to move, just a little closer. I told myself and "NOW" I yelled.

I hear an arrow pierce through the air watching it plunge into the stags eye knocking it to the ground I took a deep breath of relief However, this victory was short-lived as the stag began to stand up slowly. "well that wasn't very nice now was it?. My turn now" the stag says