Two Sides of the Story

S H A W N   M E N D E S 

"Well?" Matthew asked after I didn't reply. 

"What do you wanna know?" 

"Tell me about life in Canada." He said. My left foot and leg started to shake, and I would clench and unclench my hand ever so slightly. But I guess it wasn't subtle enough, because Matthew looked down at my leg, then at my hands, and the looked at my face. I tried to hide my face by looking out the window.

"You okay man? You seem... nervous." 

"Nervous? W-why would I be nervous."

"Beats me." Matt sighed. 

"Life in Canada wasn't really much different."

And there's the million dollar lie I've been waiting for. 

Matthew studied me very carefully. "Okay. What about friends and stuff. You have any friends back in Canada?" 

I laugh, "What's that supposed to mean Espinosa?" I was just happy he changed the subject.

He smiles, "Nothing. I was just wondering. You're a cool guy. What did people think of you?"

"The same way they think of me here." 

"Any sports? Hobbies, besides music?" He smirks.

"Nah." I did play hockey, but I didn't want to say, it's pretty stereotypical for Canadians to play hockey.  

"Hmm, were here." Matthew said parking the car in a vacant lot. I open the door and climb out. The park was a large area of green grass and a swing set. Kids were running around everywhere and parents were chasing after them. There were trees  acting as a border, making the park more secluded.

There was a trail leading in through the trees and I'm guessing that's where the dreaded date begins.

"Okay," Matt claps his hands together, "let's go. We have a long day ahead of us if we're gonna map this entire date out."

I groan. I seriously do not want to go on this date. I don't like Natalia, I will never like Natalia and the irony of this situation is really starting to piss me off. 

"Come on. Stop being such a baby." Matthew said, nudging me forward. I try and give him my nastiest glare- which didn't work out, cause he just laughed at me.

Why can't I be intimidating?

"Let's go Mendes." Matthew said walking forward. When he realized I wasn't following him, he rolled his eyes, grabbed my arm, and dragged me to the trees.

"You try to be nice," He mumbles, "and where does that get you? Nowhere." 

We started walking and I thought there were only like three or four trees and then we would end up back at the main road, but instead it's like a whole forest back here. There are trees everywhere and Matthew and I had a few run in with some deer. 

About 20 minutes later, we reached a small little, like mini mountain, and Matt had this absurd idea that I was actually gonna climb it.

"Well, go." He ushered.

"What the hell are you talking about?" 

"Climb." 

"Um.. no."

"Come on the thing has only gotta be about 25 feet off the ground." 

"That's 25  feet higher than I would like to be." I retaliate. Matthew glares at me and I remember to take mental notes. Although he's not much more intimidating than I am.