*- 20 - Emphasis on secret

I had so many things on my mind. Well, just three things, but they occupied my entire brain.

I was sitting in the common room with Alicia. We were writing the thirty-inch-paper on Felix Felicis that Snape had assigned us. I did not understand that guy. He was so ... cold. Luckily, Hermione had given me some fun facts to include. She was so incredibly smart.

The girls and I had become even closer after what I had told them. Nothing much changed after that though. They were determined to get me and Fred together, but they also knew that so much had happened already and that it was only a matter of time now.

Meanwhile, I was also looking up ways to breath underwater. Anything I could do to keep Cedric from dying was good to me. I had read something about the Bubble-Head Charm, which could be useful, but I couldn't find the actual charm anywhere, nor for how long it worked. Maybe I should run that past Ced.

And then there was this third thing that was still on my mind. Bloody Valentine's day which was in two days. Why was I so nervous about it? If I'd ask him on a date, he would definitely say yes, right? But what if he hadn't planned anything? I didn't expect great things, but what if he wouldn't do anything at all? I knew that Fred wasn't a romantic person, but if he would completely ignore it, I would kind of be disappointed.

Suddenly, the door of the common room swung open aggressively and the twins stormed in.

"Y/N, we need your help", Fred said panting and he looked way too overjoyed.

"With what?" I asked suspiciously.

"We need you to try this new sweet we created", George said with an evil glint in his eyes. I didn't trust these guys at all.

"What are they?" I asked and crossed my arms.

"Just a new invention, nothing bad", Fred said and handed me one. It was a small, blue ball with two S's carved into it.

"What does that stand for?" I asked and Fred and George exchanged looks. They were so up to something.

"Sleepy Sweets", George said eventually. "They just make you fall asleep."

"For the two best pranksters I know, you're terrible liars. Prepare a name at least before you try to trick me." I gave them back the sweet and they sighed.

"We got a little too excited when we had the final result", George admitted and shrugged.

"So what does it do?" The evil glint returned to their eyes.

"Sedation sweets", Fred whispered and smirked. I raised an eyebrow. I had been sedated once when I had to get my wisdom teeth removed and it hadn't been a great experience. I had given a live concert in the middle of the hospital (which was very bad), followed by an hour long speech to my mum about my love for alpaca's.

"And you wanted me to try them? Are you out of your mind?" Fred and George didn't seem to understand the big deal.

"That's basically drugs. They make you do and say stuff you don't want to do or say. Why would you make those?" I said, a bit annoyed. Sedation is not something you should play around with. The twins were smart, yet they never thought of consequences.

"Oh, have you got things you don't want to tell us, Homeschooled?" Fred teased and gave me a wink. I was too annoyed to even think about blushing.

"Come on, just try one. It's just us here", George said, but I vigorously shook no.

"Never in my entire life. I'm not taking drugs."

"Drugs? Come on Homeschooled, don't be so dramatic. It's a little sedation, it's supposed to be fun", Fred sighed. "We'll get you to eat one at some point anyway."

"No Fred. You don't know the effect of those sweets. I've been sedated before and it was not fun. Promise me you won't let me eat them", I said and forced him to look at me.

"That's no fun", he said, less jokingly.

"Promise me."

"Fine, fine, I promise", he said. I sighed in relief and stood up.

"Good", I mumbled and went to my dorm room.

The twins spent the rest of the weekend working on perfecting their Sedation Sweets. I didn't see Fred all that much, which made me lose all hope for a fun Valentine's surprise. It was still Fred Weasley. Those were not things that he prioritised. He cared for his pranks with George, not some stupid holiday.

It did calm the nerves a little bit. I would still ask him on that date, I was a strong, independent woman, but the excitement that had built up in the past few weeks had diminished until there was barely anything left. 

"You look lost in thought", Angelina said on the morning of the fourteenth. "A certain Weasley on your mind?"

"Oh, shut up Angie", I said and poked out my tongue. I did doublecheck my reflection in the mirror before I made my way downstairs. I was excited for the decorations in the Great Hall and the general atmosphere around the castle though. And maybe I misjudged Fred. Maybe he did have a little something in mind.

I walked downstairs with the girls and the male part of our group was already waiting in the common room.

"Ah, good morning ladies. Have a very happy day of love", Lee sang.

"You too Lee", Alicia chuckled.

"Still not trying our sweets?" Fred said when I passed him. I had forgiven him for being a git about those stupid Sedation Sweets, but he still liked to joke about it.

"Shut up, Weasel", I said and nudged him in the ribs.

"Happy Valentine's day by the way", he said. That was it?

"Yeah, you too", I said as he joined George again. I guess I had expected it, but my mood still dropped a little bit. I doubted for a second whether I should still ask him on that Butterbeer date, but of course I should. I didn't need male validation to get things done. I could take a first step.

We chuckled as we watched a bunch of awkward teenagers share Valentine's gifts in the hallways, the biggest cliches out there. Girls had written love letters and boys had bought roses.

"If I ever get a Valentine, they better get me chocolate, like a lot of it", Angelina said, shaking her head at two third-years walking hand in hand.

I admired the Great Hall decorations as we took a seat for breakfast. The owl post would arrive soon.

"Look, Hermione got a gift", Katie whispered, pointing at the girl a couple seats away. She was holding an expensive looking gift, probably from Viktor Krum, making almost every girl in existence green of jealousy. I was actually really happy for her. I didn't really think they were the best match, but she seemed happy and that was all that mattered.

All that changed when the post arrived though. It was clearly a very busy day for the owls. Katie and Angie both got a letter. Katie even had a rose attached to hers, which she was obviously teased for by the twins. Angie didn't get her chocolates, but she suddenly didn't seem to care anymore.

Suddenly, a little white envelope fell on my plate. There was nothing written on it. Could it be from Fred? I looked up, but Fred looked at the envelope with an angry frown. Not from Fred, I suppose.

I opened the letter and there were three simple sentences written on it.

Don't worry, I'm not interested (anymore). I just wanted to make your ginger jealous.

Happy Valentine's Day idiot

X Ced

I smiled at what was written.

"So, who's the secret admirer?" Alicia asked. Katie had read my note already, since she was sitting next to me, and was laughing too. I showed Alicia and Angelina and they both grinned.

"So?" Fred asked, slightly annoyed.

"It's a secret admirer Weasel, emphasis on secret." I winked at him and put the note away. He squinted his eyes and I couldn't help but smile. What Cedric did sure was effective.