Chapter 20

That night, you sat in bed with your thoughts. You had showered and sat in bed sighing every once in a while in boredom. Usually, you'd take a walk through the woods, but you had no desire. Instead, you groan again and decide maybe you could find something downstairs to do. You peek out your door, and make your way downstairs. Nobody seemed to be around, how odd. Almost eerie, but that didn't stop you.

Your eyes lay on the vacant couch and TV. You smile and make your way over, what could be on right now? You stare into the screen, flipping through channels until anything caught your eye. Nothing intrigued you enough, so you sigh once more. Maybe if you just pressed a random channel it'll be good? Nodding, you press anything with your eyes closed. A show sounded, so you open and find some horror movie. It was about some family, but you had never seen it before. You bring your knees to your chest, eagerly watching in interest. A few minutes in, the plush dipped next to you, and you turn to see a woman. She had extremely pale skin, and black lipstick to match her black eyes. She didn't look at you, so you just turn back to the screen.

"I already know your name, but I'm Jane. I may be the only normal one here, contrary to my monochrome look." she smiles at you.

"Nice to meet you," you smile back, "but how did you end up with a bunch of crazy people?"

"Better not use that word around them, but they have a twisted, sweet personality after overlooking the whole killer vibe. Honestly, all I'm interested in is stopping Jeff, but we got this whole peace treaty going on for the time being." you laugh at that.

You both turn back and watch in silence. Of course, haunted house. You scoff, and whisper what a bore.

The cushion on your left dips, and you turn to see Toby. He assumes the same position as you, and stares at the screen. He's dressed in comfortable clothing, and wears nothing else. You find that his skin glows with a near sparkle under the TV's glow. He was so pale, but it suits him. He side eyes you, and you immediately look back at the movie.

The children has killed the other child. He was possessed. Classic. You huff out and watch the kid kill his father as well. Poor family. You feel Toby twitch and continue to shift beside you, but you brush it off as his syndrome. The child is laughing and chanting in what you assume is Latin. He douses the rooms in gasoline, his mother begging him to stop. Meanwhile, Toby shifts again and brings a hand to his mouth. You hear him biting at his hand, but you say nothing. It's not your business, and Jane didn't seem to mind either.

The child trails his gasoline out the door, locking the mother inside. She's screaming for help, calling the police. The little boy is laughing, saying it's no use, and raises a lighter. Toby hums lightly and raises another hand to his mouth. What was his problem?

"Let's switch the channel, this movie is boring anyway." Jane laughs with an exaggerated hm at the end.

"Why? This is the good part." you feel Toby shift again.

"It's fine...leave it on..." Toby's voice changes into an airy laugh.

The lighter lands onto the gasoline, and you watch the house light up. Jane grabs at the remote, shutting it off. She rushes away, and you're now left with Toby. The darkness and quiet settling of the house gave you chills. The man to your left has begun to chuckle in a suggestive way. You had the strong urge to leave, so you stand up.

"Where ya going? Scared to have fun?" Toby grabs your wrist, and you try to pull away.

His grip only tightens, and your heart drops. Was this it? Toby pulls you down, then releases you. He sighs, lolling his head to you. You stay frozen, staring into the blank TV in fear. You didn't want to die. You were finally living!

Toby throws a leg around your body. He straddles you, what a common occurrence. You try to push him off of you, but he smacks your hands away.

"It's so unfair. Why would this happen to me? You're here to remind me of my pain, I know it. Reminding me of Lyra, the fire, you try to instigate me. You must be a test. They'll kick me out, they'll kill me, I know it! I knew it all along, nobody cares about Ticci Toby," he strikes your throat, then wraps another hand around.

Your face feels hot, and your breath immediately leaves. He crushes your windpipe, leaving you at a position in which speaking was impossible.

"How should you be able to live like me. You haven't suffered like me, nobody has. I hate the way you ask for death, like it's some type of free gift. You gotta earn it, death is a luxury around here. You deserve to suffer like me." he laughs maniacally. "I wish I would've let Jeff do his thing, but you had to scream. You just had to remind me that you're mine. Only mine. Why do you do that? Why do you have to exist? What did I do?"

He made no sense to you. Was he going insane? You scratch at his hands, and bang your fists against his body. Your lungs burned, and you just couldn't even let a small breath in. He was killing you, and he knew it.

"I can't wait to watch the light leave your beautiful eyes. I'll keep you on the verge of death every day until you finally understand the pain. How dare you try to sway me. Those terribly delicious lips. I just want to embrace you and feel you on my lips. I just want to live. I- I- I want you dead. I don't want this. I don't want this at all."

You can only hear ringing in your ears by the time he confesses his fascination. You can only smack his hands, but you already feel weak. You grin the fabric of his shirt, and feel your head get heavy. Just before you fall limp against his hands, he loosens. You hear him tick, and sniffle.

"L-Lyra?" He loosens more, dropping his hands.

Toby pushes off of you, and rushed to the corner of the room. You, trying to catch your breath, and pay no attention to him. You reach your hands to touch your bruised neck, he almost killed you. You look up into the corner, only to see him reaching out to nothing. What was he doing? Who's Lyra?