Chapter 17

INT: BAR – NIGHT

Busy bar with the crowd filled with young professionals looking to pick up girls with their pretax salaries. JACK is getting to work late. JACK'S boss ERIC is at the bar helping out. Eric is a twenty-five year old five foot fourmanager with a business degree from San Francisco State.

​ERIC

​(angrily)

​Mr. Martin I need a word.

JACK comes around the back of the bar and places his apron next to register. And stands in front but above his shorter boss.

​ERIC

Where in the hell have you been. Do you think the schedule is optional?

A few GIRLS at the bar look over as JACK gets reprimanded by ERIC. Jack makes eye contact with them and then looks down.

​ERIC (cont'd)

Do you think you can come and go as you please? This is unacceptable!

JACK smiles at the GIRLS. ERIC does not appreciate the smile.

​ERIC (cont'd)

​Listen to me loser.

JACK stops smiling and makes intense eye contact with ERIC.

​JACK

​What?

​ERIC

You heard me! Are you so stupid that you can't even understand your schedule.

ERIC picks up the schedule and waves it over his head then points at it.

​ERIC (cont'd)

​(sarcastically)

You see, here is your name. You follow your name next to the days of the week and you can see what days you work.

JACK is quiet but you can see him fuming.

​ERIC (cont'd)

Now stay with me this is the complicated part. You see thesenumbers they indicate the time you need to be here.

The GIRLS laugh and then turn to walk away.

​ERIC (cont'd)

​Do you understand!?

JACK smiles.

​JACK

​I understand.

JACK then moves the ladder next to him. The ladder is used to reach the expensive booze on the top shelf behind the bar. Jack climbs the ladder.

​ERIC

​What are you doing?

When JACK gets to the top he reaches for the King James Brandy that goes for $140.00 a shot.

​ERIC

​(screaming)

Don't touch that! That bottle is $140.00 a shot!

At the top of the ladder. JACK opens and begins to drink the bottle. The patrons around the bar watching the events unfold begin to cheer Jack on.

​CROWD

​Chug! Chug! Chug!

After four shots are downed by JACK. He descends the ladder. Hands the bottle to ERIC.​

​JACK

​I quit.

Then JACK walks out to the cheering crowd.