Part 10

Adler dropped me back to the village an hour ago to "evacuate my village." Apparently, the deal took effect immediately and I think Adler wanted me to start evacuating everyone. I recall he told me that he would come collect me tomorrow morning to begin the game. He also told me to turn right toward the forest and continue going North until I reach the other village. I hope his directions are right. Now all I need to do is come up with a reason as to why the village should evacuate. I decide to be honest as I can be and ask my parents to notify the village chief.

A few hours later, I am standing on top a small ledge while the villagers surround me. I clear my throat and begin.

"Good afternoon everyone! I have called everyone for this meeting because of an urgent matter." I gauge everyone's reactions and they seemed to look alarmed. They I am not one to joke about these matters. Still slightly nervous, I continue. "There is beastly creature that lives nearby in the deep waters. I have seen him with my own two eyes..40 feet tall, with a long tentacle to crush it victims with one swipe. I fear we might have to relocate our village in a less fearsome area." I hear whispers and gasps around me. Everyone seemed panicked now. With all the commotion, I decide to bring the village in now.

"BUT, I have a plan to get us somewhere safely. There is another welcoming village nearby. I believe they will let us live there for the time being. We have to start as soon as possible in order to reach there before nightfall. I recommend everyone to start packing their belongings right now. Thank you for attention. We should start 1 hour." With my last words, everyone scatters to their homes.

I step down from the podium and take a deep breath. I may seem confident with speeches, but I am actually burning up inside out. The only reason why I didn't completely mess up is because I see the village as my family. Anyone else and it would have been a disaster.

Everyone is already superstitious and the fog just served as a piece of evidence of an ominous presence. They just needed a reason to believe and everyone is whipped. I don't think that they are gullible though. Everyone was raised in superstitious way so it just got passed down. I, though, have read enough fantasy books to determine what is actually real and what is not, though Adler surprised me.

I pack a small pack full of my three most important belongings - my clothes, my books, and a picture of my family. My parents rush around the room, trying to pack everything up and I sigh. I was going to be here anyway so I don't have to pack a lot. It takes 2 hours for us to get there so it's going to take 4 for me to come back.

I decide to go outside to look for my sister. I see her among her friends and decide not to disturb her. Unfortunately, as I turn around, I see Tyer. He comes to my direction and I contemplate running, but I know he will probably catch me.

"Kaaya! I know you are thinking about running away. Don't you dare!" He tells me, 30 feet away. 20 feet. 10. 5. And...

"Stop! Please don't come any closer!" I say, panicked. I know I am acting rude, but I am scared of Tyer and for Tyer at the same time. He's going to make me stay there, but I have to go forward with the deal or everyone is going to be danger.

"Kaaya. Please, don't go." His voice holds raw desperation and I force myself to stop and see what he has to say. I make sure to keep distance between us through. "Kaaya. I am really sorry for what I did. I hope you don't continue to ignore me anymore. We could just be friends if you want to."

I sigh and look at the ground. "Tyer. You don't have to apologize for your feelings. Although, I don't completely accept them, you are free to like or love whoever you want. I am still friends with you and we will continue to be, but please, you have to trust me on this. You have to stay away from me or else you will get hurt." I try to lay everything down gently without hurting Tyer's feelings. Before he could have a chance to reply back, I walk away, leaving his eyes trailing after my departing form, sensing that I need some time to myself.

1 hour goes by really quickly when you want time to go slower. Before I could count to 10, we are already on our 2 hour walk to the other village. Most of the journey is spent in silence as everyone is still panicked about a monster lurking nearby. Honestly, I just want everyone to be safe and sound. I don't want anyone to get hurt because of me.

It is almost nightfall by the time we reached the village. Our village chief came out and explained our situation and the new village chief gladly welcomed us inside. I look around and see that it is quite similar to our old one and sigh. I pretend to set all my stuff inside. I plan to start my journey back later in the night. I have no explanation to give everyone so I will just disappear and hope they don't come looking for me. For now, I will take a nice, peaceful nap...

(Time Skip)

When I wake up, my family is already asleep around me in our 1-room house. How long did I sleep for? I slowly go outside and look at the moon. It is high in the sky. It should be around the middle of the night by now. I better start now before I get late. I kiss my mother, father, and sister on the cheek and murmur a low apology. I try not to tear up, but they are still my family. I am going to miss them so much, but in order for them to be alive, I will have to leave. I glance one more time at them before grabbing my pack and heading out.

2 hours of trying not to get scared and fumbling in the dark forest, I make it back to our old one. I quickly rush inside and wrap one of the rags left in the room around me. It takes a long time for me to fall asleep. I don't know if it is because I took a nap earlier or because too scared to face Adler tomorrow. I have one last thought before I drift into the sea of unconsciousness.

What if everyone dies because I failed the race ...I...have...to....win...