46

Christian

"Where's Karen?" My father asked as soon as we entered my office on the top floor

"You're about sixteen assistants too late." Brad replied.

I shot him a look.

Yes I realized that I had a problem with firing assistants too quickly... but dad didn't need to know that.

"I'm sorry, how many assistants have you had?" Our father asked. His voice had did that thing where it got dangerously low and cold. It gave me goosebumps. Like the bad kind of goosebumps.

"Twenty." I said quietly.

"We're actually at twenty-four now." Brad interrupted as he opened up his laptop. "But really who's counting." It was a very quick transition as my father went from calm and collected, to completely pissed. You could almost see the smoke shooting out of his ears while his face got redder.

"And why is that?" He spoke between his clenched teeth.

"It just wasn't a good fit. I think I found someone who's a really great match for me- I mean the company." I explained. It was challenging trying to keep my cool while my father looked like he wanted to jump across my desk to choke me out. When I mentioned this new assistant, however, he sort of dialed it back with the anger. He now seemed curious.

"Ah, this Alex kid right? Your mum had nothing but good thing to say about the boy. When do I get to meet him?" Father asked. That complete 180° he did, gave me whiplash. I guess I knew where I got my quick temper from.

"Apparently now." I replied, glancing past him to my office door. Just as soon as my father finished speaking, Alex had started to walk in. When he saw me, he froze almost immediately. That's when his eyes landed on Brad and my father.

"Oh! I'm sorry. I was just coming up for some files. I didn't know you returned to the office already. I'll come back later." He started to walk back out, but I stopped him before he could slip away.

"Actually, could I bother you for a moment?" I asked. His eyebrows furrowed slightly at my words, but he made his way back into my office. "I want you to meet someone." I stood up from my desk and extended a hand towards my father. "This is Bohuslav Dmytro-Ivanov, my father."

Alex's eyes damn near popped out of his sockets as he leaned forward to shake my fathers hand.

"It's a pleasure to meet you, Alexander Hamilton." My father smiled at him. "You've made quite the impression with my wife. I decided I just had to see for myself, what all the fuss was about."

"The pleasure is all mine, sir." Alex replied politely. He was doing his best to act professional, but I could see the beads of sweat start to form along the base of his forehead. My fathers presence was even more intimidating than my mother's. Alex looked like he had shit his pants already.

"I'm sure Christian has informed you of the breach we had in our security. What can you tell me about that?" My father asked. Alex looked even more light headed.

"Unfortunately, I wasn't here personally when it occurred. I was in New York with Christian for a business meeting. I do oversee the the IT department and was able to get the users information. My team is doing their best to isolate a location."

"You oversee the IT department?" Father asked.

"Yes sir." Alex replied with a nod.

"Oh good, this makes things convenient." My father said simply. "Your fired."

Alex just sort of froze.

"Let's not be hasty." I rushed out before Alex had the time to react to my fathers words. "Alex has nothing to do with this, and he's been working hard on figuring out what might have happened."

"That's great and all Christian, but I need to hold someone accountable. I can't leave this place without firing somebody. Your mother would skin me alive."

"I'm sure we can find someone else to fire. Mother probably wouldn't appreciate us letting Alex go, especially with her high praises of him, and the fact that he's working this hard to resolve the problem." Brad cut in, looking up briefly from his laptop to glance at our father.

My father went silent for a few moments as he pondered Brad's words. "I guess you're right." He spoke finally. "My wife did speak very highly of you. It looks like you get to keep your job, Alex."

Alex was still completely frozen in place with an expression of horror etched into his face. He looked like he had just witnessed a murder.

"T-Thank you, sir." He stuttered out.

"However, I expect exceptional work from here on out. For all I know, you're probably overworking this poor kid, Christian. Why would you make him your assistant when he already has a full time job?"

My eyes caught Alex's as I processed my fathers words. In all honesty, I hadn't thought Alex was going to be my assistant for this long. When I offered him the job, there was a large part of me that expected him to quit. I brought no stability to the work place and his professional life. I thought surely there was no way he could handle it. For some wild reason, he's stuck with me though. I haven't scared him away just yet.

"Alex gives me a fresh insight on ideas. I like the way he thinks, and how analytical he can get with problem solving. It's an odd situation, yes, but Alex truly has transformed the way we run things around here." I replied.

"And what was wrong with the way you ran things before?" My father demanded. I heard Brad snicker.

I was going to need to remind myself to punch this motherfucker in his throat next time we were alone.

Surprisingly enough, the man who came to my rescue was Alex. "I think I just provide Christian with a better understanding of what his employees are thinking, and a little more background to assist in making this environment a good working environment. Sometimes you get so wrapped up in your work, it gets easier to lose sight of the team that got you here."

Okay, a little harsh there Alex... but I guess nonetheless true.

And just as quickly as my fathers temper came, it went again. In return, it was replaced with a smile. "It sounds like you're just the man my wife spoke of, and more. I know we Ivanov's have got a temper about us, but there's a whole lot of good there too. Sounds like you see that in Christian. I guess I can't really ask for too much else."

My father stood up with that sudden swiftness again, and it made both Alex and myself flinch.

"But now its time to tackle bigger problems. Do you think you could show me exactly what happened? I'll need to make some calls before the end of today's business day regarding this matter."

Alex gave my father a firm nod. "Yes sir."

••