Chapter 20: Barrels

The aromatic smell of freshly ground coffee beans clogged the air around Ben and I. Justin and Chloe sat directly across from us; ashen faced and more than dejectedly looking into their coffees.

It was the day after Gemma had been sent home and my curiosity had gotten the better of me; again.

I needed to know more about Gemma and now that Chloe was no longer an incoherent, blubbering mess I had so many questions.

Justin and Chloe had agreed to answer my questions yet denied talking to anyone but me and Ben; which was understandable, if Gemma hadn’t been stopped Ben would have been next and I knew I wouldn’t want too many people knowing about such a scandalous event anyhow.

There were enough rumors already…

Delving into secrets over coffee early in the morning was as good a time as any.

“Go ahead.” Chloe murmured passively; she looked as if she hadn’t slept a wink the night before. Her brown hair seemed a shade duller with less volume and her eyes lacked her usual sultry tinkle.

Ben’s hand was grasping mine if I needed the support.

“Why did Gemma not want me going to Briarwood?”

Chloe and Justin exchanged a brief look.

“Gemma was a Briarwood student and a Briarwood rider-.” Chloe started.

“Not a very good one I reckon, to get jealous so easily.” Ben interrupted sharply.

Justin pulled his lips into a firm line; “From her depictions Briarwood is a snake pit. Rider against rider; strong riders are pushed forward and weak riders are more or less forgotten.”

“Doesn’t seem like much of a change from this competition.” Ben’s tone was chilly as he regarded Justin and Chloe; who seemed to shrink under his gaze.

I squeezed Ben’s hand and willed him mentally to shut-up, I understood his anger but this was not the time; I was attempting to forgive and forget, however hard it was.

Ben’s posture slackened and Chloe let out a breath.

“Gemma didn’t want to be bumped down the ranks. She saw strength and she eliminated it.” Chloe continued; her voice and word choice sending a chill to travel down my spine. “And I think she’s done it before…”

“So she planned this entire thing from day one…” I murmured.

“She saw your strength and prowess and she didn’t want you taking her place at the academy.” Justin stirred his coffee absentmindedly before taking a long sip.

“And you joined in…?”

Justin stopped drinking and Chloe looked up sheepishly.

“At first I just didn’t like you.” Chloe muttered; “You had this ‘I am so sweet and innocent’ fake angelic bullshit vibe but when I first saw you ride I knew you’d be a real competitor…”

“Gemma approached me first but I thought she was just trying to hit on me.” Justin shrugged. “It wasn’t until Chloe came up to me one day and offered to introduce me to a girl named Gemma she had met before lesson.”

“She claimed that she would help us with the competition in exchange for some help against you.” Chloe said; “And it did help…until it stopped helping and just started hurting…”

I could see the way Chloe looked at Justin and the self-deprecating smile on his lips and I instantly remembered the fight he had goaded Ben into; the fight that Gemma had made him commit, the fight that Gemma nearly had him eliminated for.