Forty-Seven || Abominable Snowman

Почніть із самого початку

The deputy scowled at his sister. "Jacy."

"No, no she's right," Honey countered. "Since I got the email from your mother, I've been asking around. Beacon Hills has a lot of ghosts."

"Thanks to me."

"Jacy, stop it."

Honey held up her hands, silencing her grandchildren. "As both of you know, there have been many people who have preyed on your town in the past, even before you two arrived. It's a cursed place whether you're involved or not."

Jacy leaned back against her car, folding her arms across her chest after wiping the residual tears from her cheeks. "And these ghosts you've been talking to. What do they think?"

Honey grimaced slightly. "I'm afraid to say that they don't know how to stop it. And...well, they don't think it can be stopped."

"How lovely." Retrieving her keys, Jacy started her car. "I have to find somewhere to lock myself up before nightfall."

"Nothing will hold you," Honey dismally said.

"Then you should go home where it's safe, Nana. Get as far away from me as you can. Everyone should."

Jordan hastily followed his sister around to the driver's door, catching it before she could seal herself into her car. "Jace, where are you going?" His eyes fell on the passport sitting in her passenger's seat. "What is that? Why do you need your passport?"

"I'm getting as far away from here as I can."

"What are you talking about?" he asked, wedging himself between her and the door. "You're going to go to Mexico?"

"I was thinking Canada," Jacy countered. "I can reach the border before the sun goes down. I was going to see if Nana had anything helpful, and if she had, I would just go home, but clearly I can't. If the spirits don't think there's a way to stop me, then there probably isn't. This way, I can just bury myself somewhere in the artic. I'll either die of frostbite and take the Beast with me, or there can be an abominable snowman somewhere that people can't inhabit. I'll only take out an unlucky hunter or two every year."

Jordan scoffed, fumbling over his words. "You can't go!"

"And I can't stay here! If I don't do something, I'm going to end up wiping out the entire town. You know the dreams you've been having. The entire town, dead. Every single person. And if I don't go, that will happen, and it will be because of me. You have to let me go."

Jordan shook his head. "I can't do that. You can't ask that of me as your brother."

"Then I'm not asking you as a brother," Jacy replied. "I'm asking you as a deputy – as someone who took an oath to serve and protect the city of Beacon Hills, to let me go. Let me try to stop all of this insanity."

"Stiles is going to kill me."

"If I stay, I might kill you both." Jacy held off the impulse to reach for her brother's hand – to comfort him in some kind of way, but she kept them in her lap instead. "Tell everyone I'm sorry, and that I love them. And that's why I'm doing this. Because I love everyone too much to stay and put them in harm's way."

Jordan sighed. "You know that we'll stay and fight for you, until the very end."

"But you shouldn't have to."

"Jacy."

"Jordan, you've always said that you'd do anything for me, right? Ever since I was little, you've always told me that."