Thirty-One || You Know What's Coming

|| You Know What's Coming

     Jacy and Stiles leaned on the front of Petunia, neither's eyes ever leaving the sight of Roscoe being towed off by a dirty red truck.

     Although Jacy had spent nearly twenty minutes beforehand searching, she wound up finding the Jeep in a rogue neighborhood before finding Stiles himself.

     Roscoe, out of commission for what seemed like for good, was carried off down the street and out of sight.

     "When did she break down?" Jacy asked, finally breaking the silence that had begun to suffocate the couple.

He was notably still wearing the same clothes from his storm off last night.

     "A little while after I left the clinic," he quietly replied, looking down to his feet.

     "Can they fix it?" Jacy ignored the fact that the windshield had been smashed from an impact not relative to the engine crapping out again.

     Stiles sighed, running a hand along the back of his neck. "I don't think there's enough duct tape in the world to fix that thing."

     "What about non-duct tape means?"

     "I'm not like you, Jace. I don't have all the money in the world."

     A delayed, unemotional smile reached Jacy. "Okay, Stiles." She stood from the hood of her car, pulling her keys from her jacket pocket.

     "Jace, I didn't mean it like that," Stiles tried to defend as he rose from the Honda.

     "It's fine," she said, voice truly fine. "People say mean things when they're hurting or upset. Especially when they won't tell anyone else why they're being irrational, or why they leave their girlfriend in the rain then won't return her calls."

     The most concerning thing to Stiles was that her tone never shifted, and malice never entered.

     "There's a lot going on, J," he said softlyz

     "I've noticed," she replied on a dime. "I know there's a lot going on. My brother's in a jail cell because he thinks that's the best way to keep himself from hurting others. My friend Hayden's dying, I'm almost positive I'm two different people and now you're keeping things from me." She opened the driver's door of her Honda, looking to Stiles. "Where am I taking you?"

     Stiles' brows furrowed slightly, surprised she was still willing to put up with him after everything she'd just said. "Uh, the station. I want to talk to my dad."

     "Did you know they found the school sign in the middle of the hallway?" Jacy asked, attempting to break the tension as the two climbed into the car.

     "The huge stone one? The one that leads to the vault?"

     "Yep." Jacy clicked her seatbelt before turning on the car, "something picked it up and threw it into the school." She sighed lightly, putting the car in drive. "And something inside me says we're going to find out what it is tonight." She took a light glance over to Stiles. "Am I going to get to know what you haven't been telling me?"

     Stiles focused on his hands, fingers toying together. "You don't want to know, Jace."

     "How do you know that?"

     "It's bad. It's really bad," he told her, lightly shaking his head.

     "Worse than disappearing to rendezvous with the Dread Doctors? Worse than picking kids to be turned into chimeras?"