Thirty-Eight || A Ballad of the Noahs

|| A Ballad of the Noahs

     "Why is she so adamant on not being found?"

     Walking through the empty high school under poor lighting, Scott and Allison didn't keep the silence that the building had been living in.

     "I really don't know, Al," Scott replied, following locker numbers in search of a student that they'd never met before. "But I don't think she's doing it out of false pretenses."

     "It's this one."

     Both Scott and Allison looked up, Isaac pulling the lock clear off of Noah Patrick's locker.

     Isaac, having split up from the two only a few minutes before, pulled out a hoodie and tossed it to Scott. "Now we can catch his scent."

     As they headed back to way they came, Allison continued her thought. "If she's been predominantly the one who's been picking and burying chimeras, why is she asking us to help one?"

     "If he just went missing yesterday, then Jacy was already separate from the Doctors," offered Scott. "It's likely she didn't have a hand in it. Or now she's able to fight back because of the clarity."

     "Where do you think she got the cure for Stilinski?" Isaac asked, pulling the conversation as he pushed open the door out to the parking lot. "It debates the question if she's still working with the Dread Doctors or not. There's no way she just had that on her, and I saw Deaton roaming around Paris not long ago so I'm assume he's not here to help."

     "No, if she's clear, there's no way she's willingly working with them," replied Scott without pause. "She has full access to their lab, so she probably stole it from them."

     "Willingness might be besides the point," Isaac replied as the trio reached Allison's car. "But it's clear that Noah should be our focus. She went out of her way to get everyone to focus on this Noah kid so we can help him instead of worry about her - who seemed completely fine, by the way. She was insanely level headed when she picked me up from the airport."

     "She stole my phone while we were looking for her so she could pick you up," Allison countered. "And to do so, she would have been following us all night in order to snag my cell off of me. Isaac, she kind of kidnapped you."

     Isaac paused, taking the hoodie from Scott. "Okay, well, Jacy isn't the point right now. Jordan is working on getting Lydia out of Eichen, Stiles is with his dad and we are finding Noah Patrick. So let's do that."

     "All right, get in the car," Allison said. "Let's find him before we're all dead."

     Within fifteen minutes, the trio had made their way clear across the city to the abandoned train station that was nearing dilapidation.

     Isaac and Scott took the lead as they entered the poorly lit space, Allison hanging back mostly out of enabling conversation between the wolves. Although the nostalgia had taken over the sense of the morning, the tension was palpable from one party.

     "I know I didn't say it before, but I'm sorry I didn't tell you she was alive," Scott said, not looking to the towering figure of Isaac as they continued down the train tracks. "I should have been the one who told you."

     "It's okay, Scott, really," he assured as his eyes stayed forward, still gripping Noah's hoodie. "I'm not mad."

     "You should be," Scott pushed. "You should be made at me. I kept something huge from you. You deserved to know."

     Isaac's voice mimicked a laugh; a noise without happiness but a noise all the same. "Scott, I have lived a completely different life in France. I've seen and experienced so many things that have reminded me not only how unhelpful anger is, but how fleeting life is. I don't have it in me to be mad at you. All that matters is that she's alive. I'm not here to steal her from you or make your life complicated. I'm here because she asked me to help, which I'm more than happy to."