Chapter 4 - Aashi

The following day Aashi woke up quite tired. She was not able to rest very well due to the bad dreams chasing her. She rolled over to his side only to discover a empty space. Aashi was embraced with a uneasy feeling. It was not late so she wondered why he had rushed out this early in the morning. She was disappointed but not surprised. His absence did not make Aashi's dream any less unrealistic. She wondered if Arjun had come home last night. Quickly she tried to shake these thoughts off and began to face the day.

She can't remeber the time when she turned into a housewife, but she could not complain. At least she had something to ease her mind. The house was pretty clean afterwards. After a while Aashi decided to take a break. She deserved one. She grabbed her favourite book and sat down on the couch in the living room. Few pages in she laughed to herself. It was funny to Aashi that lately nothing brought her joy anymore because of him. As coincidence wants her favourite book turned out to be about a husband leaving her wife for someone younger.
At first the female protagonist was completely broken, but then found someone much better who understood her worth. Aashi could only hope that this was not her case.

The day went on slowly. It was 6pm. Usually around this time Arjun would finish his work, but Aashi assumed he would overwork once again. There was just no hope left. She closed her eyes in hope to get some rest. After a few minutes she heard the lock unlocking. Aashi was sure she was dreaming. It was not possible that he was home on time. She was rather scaring thinking it would be a burglar. Eventually a familiar voice greeted her. Aashi opened her eyes and looked at him in surprise. She greeted him back. The tension between the both of them was very awkward. Something unusual for a married couple.

Aashi was surprised he had not noticed her red and swollen eyes. She was crying the entire time, but she did not want him to know either. She felt like he did not care about her anymore. She felt lost. Aashi could not get these thoughts off her mind so she decided to confront him. She gathered all her courage and asked. "Can I ask you something?" She said quite unsure to him. "Of course." He said monotone while sitting down on the couch in front of her. He would not even sit next to her. Has it gone that far? "Where were you last night?" She mumbled. "What do you mean?" He asked confused. "Have you come home last night?" She asked sadly. "Of course I have!" He said not being able to follow her strain of thoughts. "But how come you came so late?" She said quite annoyed. "I was at work and you know that!" He told her. "Always at work, you must be so busy with work, or someone." She rather whispered the last part, so he would not hear. "I'm not sure of what you're accusing me right now, but I can assure you I was at work." He replied annoyed. "You promised to come home yesterday remeber?" She said while trying to fight back her tears. "Do you know how much food was wasted?" She said. "I'm sorry, but there was too much to do!" He said trying to understand what was going on. "What could possibly be more important than your wife?" She said mad. Aashi had enough. She grew tired of crying and worrying about him all the time. Arjun was not following her. In fact he was happy that was coming home early today, but his mood changed quickly. "You do realise I did not come home to have this discussion with you." He replied equally mad. "Oh I'm sorry, I almost forgot that you don't come home at all!" She almost screamed. "I won't let you accuse me of anything." He said angrily and left the house slamming the door. Aashi fell back on the couch and started crying hysterically. Did she loose him forever?