01: encounter

PLAYING...

BEING AN ADULT | KIM NAYOUNG

**✿❀ ❀✿**

April 5, 1989 - 1:32pm

Hong Joshua is simply minding his business, swirling out the perfect tower of whip cream for some hot chocolate, when his coworker, Alex, asks, "Hey Joshua, you know Korean right?"

Still lightly pressing down on the canister's nozzle, Joshua pauses and tries not to look like a deer caught in headlights.

If they were speaking in technical terms, then yeah, he knows Korean. Even though he was born and raised in Los Angeles, his mother threw around enough words and phrases from her native language for him to get by in their house (and awkward family reunions). 

But if what Alex meant by 'knowing Korean' was actually speaking Korean, holding a decent conversation in Korean, then his answer is less sure. Like, he can say some basic things--- hello, how are you, thank you, and what not--- but can he string it all together into one seamless sentence without his brain freezing up?

Not really.

So, slowly, he responds, "Um... kinda?"

The tones of hesitation and self-doubt in his voice are obvious, but either his coworker doesn't seem to notice, or just straight up doesn't care. "Good enough for me," Alex replies, before beckoning him over to the cash register. "Come over here."

Wondering why she needs him specifically, Joshua leaves his precious mug of steaming hot cocoa and walks over to the cash register, where Alex is. When he reaches her, she leans into his shoulder and says, "Houston, we have a problem."

Alex cocks her head to the front of them both, then back to Joshua, who copies her actions. Only then does he come face to face with the dreamiest guy he's ever seen. Soft eyes. Soft jaw. Soft everything... and Joshua has to restrain himself from turning into a heap of warm raspberry mush for a stranger who just so happens to look very Korean.

"Why did you call me?" Joshua mutters, even though he's starting to quickly connect the dots and realize the answer to his own question. His first thought is oh no. His second is please don't.

To none of his surprise, but much of his panic, Alex explains, "I don't understand a single thing this guy is saying, but I can tell that it's important to him. And I'm going to feel bad for the rest of my life if I leave him hanging, so---"

"You want me to translate," Joshua finishes.

"Pretty much... and he's been holding up the line for a couple of minutes now." Joshua looks behind the guy, who, by the way, is nonchalantly staring at them, and sees a growing crowd of aggravated people. "I don't know how to say, 'Hey, can you please step aside or you're going to stampeded by a bunch of coffee-starved adults' in Korean... so yeah."

Joshua shakes his head. "How do you know he's Korean?" he asks, even though Alex's assumption is the same as his. 

"He said something like 'onion-say-yo' and I was like, 'oh, that's what Josh says when he picks up his mom's calls.'"

Joshua makes a sound that's between a groan and a whine.

"Pleaseee? For the good of humanity and your own heart?" Alex says, dragging out the desperate tone in her voice. "You're the only person who can help this guy out."

WHEN THE MOON MET THE SUN | JIHANOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara