~ Chapter XI ~

~~~

~~~

I sneezed.

For the tenth time in less than five minutes.

My health state was persistently and gradually worsening as I had been feeling dizzy ever since last night's accident, when both me and Law fell into the water and were forced to swim towards the shore. Also, the long conversation we had, completely soaked, didn't help to improve my well-being.

"Y/n, are you slacking off again?! It's not time for sleeping, young lady! And don't give me that 'I'm sick' excuse. If you had time to just lazily sit around the house and daze off while we were absent, then you should be prepared to handle some housework! Chop, chop! The animals won't fed themselves! And while you are at it, go to town and buy fresh fruit and vegetables. And this time... Don't take the rotten ones." My mother's voice was persistent and without any hint of worry. Like usual.

I sighed. However messed up my morning was, the memories from yesterday washed away all my uneasiness and brought me back to the raven's gentle touches. I was honestly grateful to Law when he altered my decision on going back home without a companion, mollifying my concerns. He had easily, as I was a feather, carried me bridal-style and patiently waited by my side, both of us siting on the bench and silently watching the night sky, until my parents and siblings arrived.

And before we parted, he had tenderly kissed my forehead and in whisper, wished me a good night. Law nonetheless disappeared in the pitch dark, leaving me and my thought in a cosy domestic feeling. At that time I hoped the cold breeze would be able to sober up my insatiable reverie, however, still puzzled by the confession I shrugged everything off and happily dashed to my room, swiftly grabbing the spare clothes. The pillow and the mattress were silently inviting me to lay down and relax my muscles. I gladly succumbed to the restless sleep, thinking only about the person that sincerely loved me...Damn, these butterflies!

"Don't ignore mother, Y/n." Now another voice decided to meddle in, a high and sullen one that lingered with the words and didn't care about the harshly used tone. "You are behaving like some kid and not as some that shall become a soon-to-be bride. You should at least obey this household's rules and ditto stop procrastinating, if you want to find a suitable husband that will put up with your whimsical ways."

Not having enough energy to fight back or to complain, I complied to their orders and immediately left the estate with a basket and a bad headache, avoiding any further verbal contacts.

A bride, huh? I giggled at the thought while the hushed voice in my mind tried to force Law's imagine to the center of my attention and fill me up with his laugh. However the sudden sting pain disabled me from overstraining my dreams and forced me to stop in my tracks.

Damn, these herbs won't do! I need something stronger. I thought.

When I slowly, but steadily reached the entrance of the town, successfully blending in with the crowd, I unknowingly took advantage of poor Kokoro-san at the market. As I gulped down a few sips of the special beverage she had given me, reassuring that the medicine would surely make a significant difference with the unbearable pain, I found out the reason behind the strong, stiff flavor in my throat. It was alcohol.