~ Chapter IX ~

~~~

"I love you." It was a genuine, warm voice. A bit strident too ignore. It dragged me up into consciousness and wouldn't let me go. I lifted my chin a fraction, blinking to get my tears away. Damn emotions and water... Why does it have to be so cold... Focus! Y/n focus! Don't let your mind wander around...

"You...what?" I stuttered, all of a sudden mortified by him. I luckily made a safe distance between us, two people in equally drenched wet clothes. Though nothing was stopping him to take a few bold steps further, outstretching his lightly tanned hand. "You heard me. I love you, Y/n, so..."

"Stop!" I put my hand to my face, so my slim-looking fingers covered almost the entire facial surface. "Don't make any more steps!" I pleadingly demanded, my body feeling weak and heavy.

"Why?"

"I should be the one asking that." I crunched down to the floor. "Cause if you do... I'll wake up from this beautiful dream and end up liking you even more." I sighed, frantically pulling the strands of my hair and twirling them until a satisfied voice whispered to me to stop doing such a stupid thing and just relax. "Please, don't ruin this moment for me. I want to burn it into my mind so I would never forget."

"So you think you are dreaming." Law concluded. I didn't know why, but for some reason his face radiated mischief while speaking.

I looked up, clearly dumbfounded but nevertheless determined in my assumption. "Well, duh. I mean, the entire day went all too good and you didn't show any tendencies to strangle me for being too obnoxious... I presume that' s a solid enough proof for both me and you, don't you agree?"

I made a 'tch' sound that was full of agony and rolled my eyes in unease. "Ughhh...How will I talk to you tomorrow when I wake up from this reverie?" I then threw my hands in exaggeration. "It's official...I'm dead. You...I mean...real Law is going never going to let this kind of embarrassing thing slip away. 'Funny, girl! You are really hilarious', that will be his exact words." I mimicked his way of speech, contemplating if I should rather use a deep voice to make my point or not. Then another idea hit me. Well, more a realization. "Wait! What if I died after we fell into the water? And now I'm wandering as a ghost that is going to morn for the unfortunate destiny that I was bestowed with by the Goodes of misfortune? And I will be trapped here until some exorcist comes and obliterates me from Earth..." My eyes were now the triple the size as well as my hitched breathing. "Wow... That actually makes sense..."

"Real Law? Ghost." He sighed, before he grinned and ruffled my hair. "You are a funny one indeed." The male chuckled. "But Y/n, I'm flattered and all of that, but you aren't dreaming. Nor are you dead."

"Liar." I accusingly pointed my finger at him. "Please disappear...Evaporate or whatever... Just give me some space to breath and relax. What you said really confused me."

"Let me prove it to you then. So you will be' less confused'. Though, I doubt anything will actually take an effect on your rather eccentric personality."

Oh, what a cruel world! Even in my dreams, Law is behaving all-mighty! Why brain? You could have at least made him a bit nicer.

"Huh, what? How?" I suspicious narrowed my eyes towards him.

"Just close your eyes and count to 3." I shrugged to myself... Ok, I can comply that.

I closed my eyes and patiently waited for his move. I didn't have a clue what he was going to do, only an anxious anticipation made me a bit nervous as well as the constant flipping in my stomach. The cold air suddenly warmed up, a strange sensation of mixed breaths overpowered the vicinity around me and then... Law kissed me. It was slow and soft, comforting, but I didn't react until his hand rested below my ear, his thumb caressing my cheek. After some time, that felt like an eternity, he backed away, cupping my suspiciously red cheeks into both of his hands and deeply gazed into my eyes.

"Do you believe me now?" He whispered.

"I-I-..." And that's was when it hit me.

This isn't a dream... It's to surreal!

"Oh...no...Well..." I bit my lower lip, avoiding his stern look with aiming at his golden earing. "That made the situation a bit embarrassing. Please forget what I said before...I...I'm probably just...sleep walking...And talking! Yeah, that too...And you see, that kind of condition usually makes me speak some unreasonable nonsense..."

Law wrapped me in a warm swaddle of his chest and arms.

"You don't have to make excuses. Take your time, Y/n-ya. You don't need to answer me right away. I can-"

"You are real?" I caught him off in mid-sentence. My fingers eagerly touched his cheek, curiously stroking the almost invisible dimples. He flinched a bit, but his eyes softened at the sight of my bewildered face.

"Yes."

"And what you did...Really happened? The k-ki-..." I gulped. "The k-kiss?"

"Yes."

"And the confession is...?"

"It is the truth..."The male answered before I could even have a chance to complete. Though, I didn't complain.

"So that means...I can...Honestly tell you my answer...?"

"Nobody is forcing you to do that." He confirmed, but Law had let me know that he was going to endure until I was prepared for another step.

"But it would be mean just to let all of it go..."

"It is your decision after all." He shrugged, but couldn't conceal his playful tune, as if he were the star of his own movie. I could have sat there all day simply to listen and smile.

"Yeah..." I lightly pushed myself from him and gazed into the floor. "You are right. I shouldn't just rush with my decision...But..." I inhaled deeply. If I look up, I may find myself at the mercy of questioning eyes, pleading, begging to know what I was doing... "Do I love you?" I whispered more to myself, questioning whether I should be honest to myself or not.

I exhaled. My hand found the area with the rapid pounding of my heart as I carefully listened to it like my life depended on it. Like...It was my little encouraging companion. This feeling was so strange; it stretched throughout my whole body.

"I love you, Law."

°~°~°~°~°~°~°

To be continued...