Chapter Thirteen - Part Two

Start from the beginning

"It's more like a shove than a nudge."

"Fine, I shoved. It's not like she's not bound to shove back. Now you tell me what was the bloody gauze about in her trashcan, friend. The smears looked like slices." Her attitude changes instantly. She might claim to be a very good friend to me, but she cares for Charlie just as much as I do.

"She cut herself on a broken plate Sunday evening. She's fine." I'm not going to tell her that she cut it due to my presence. "What time is the meet and greet tomorrow?"

"Noon, in conference room number four."

"Well, I really should be going. I'll see you tomorrow, and fair warning, watch out for Charlie." I nod my head and with a slight smile.

I purposely leave Grace early in hopes of catching Charlie before she goes to bed. The sound of her humming in the bathroom fills the suite. Sneaking around the corner, I can't help but to spy on her. The sight of her in the same see-through lingerie she was tossing around earlier is all I can see. My eyes can't seem to tear away from her nearly naked body dancing around as she brushes her teeth. For someone who hated the concept of wearing that particular piece of clothing she sure seems happy in it.

Her scream pierces my eardrums and most likely all occupants in the nearby rooms when she catches me watching her. "Holy shit, Maxwell." Her hands grope her own body, trying to cover up all the bare spots. "Are you spying on me?" she demands. Before I have a chance to answer, she shrieks at me again. This time it's more agitated than frightened. "Would you stop looking at me?"

I look at the ground to make her feel better. What she doesn't know is that I will see her in that again.

Either making light of the situation or making it worse, I pull my T-shirt off as well. Instantly she becomes even more uncomfortable as she takes in my bare chest. Her heartbeat increases and just like that I get antsy from the sound of her quickening pulse. Disappointingly, at some point in time when my eyes were on the ground, she grabbed a towel to cover herself up.

"I'm just getting ready for bed." I sit on the edge of the mattress, slowly taking my socks off and then stand briefly to take my pants off. Folding them in my hand, I toss them to a nearby chair, followed by gradually crawling under the blankets without giving Charlie a second glance. Trying to make her more comfortable, a flick of the light leaves the room completely black. "Are you coming?"

"I think I'll sleep on the couch," she says before tiptoeing toward the door.

"Charlie, I promise I won't bite. Just lie down and get some rest." I make my words sound like a plea.

A groan comes out of her mouth, putting yet another smile on my face. I have no idea if she realizes that I can see her as clear as day in the unlit room, but I have no intention of informing her of that. Secrets are not lies.

She throws a temper tantrum like a toddler in the open doorway as she struggles with accepting the offer. Her feet stomp wildly and her hands ball into fists only to swing at the air. Amongst the battle between herself, she loses the towel. The sight of this grown woman barely clothed throwing a fit is more than hysterical. Taking her time, she gathers up the towel from the floor and waves it through the air in a manic frenzy. A cracking whip from it slapping against the doorframe doesn't stop her from continuing and it's the whip of it striking the edge of the bed that causes me to choke on a laugh.

She stops in her tracks, staring wide-eyed at me. "You can see me, can't you?" Her voice sounds extremely agitated.

"Just a little bit." I'm unable to make my words sound believable.

"Maxwellllll!" she growls.

"What? You...you sounded as if you needed to relieve some tension, so I kept my mouth shut. Are you ready for bed now? It seems you got your exercise in for the day."

She quickly slips under the blankets, making sure to keep to her side. Her warmth becomes trapped under the comforter. She harshly tosses and turns before she finally turns her back to me, snuggling her head into the plush pillow.

"Oh, for future reference, when my mouth is closed it doesn't always mean that my eyes are. Can you remind me in the morning to thank Grace?" I know my words don't comfort her, but I couldn't help it.

The sound of the slap as her hand hits my bare chest echoes throughout the room. "Could you at least pretend that it hurts?"

"Oh, the pain," I say as blandly as possible.

"You're a terrible actor."

"And you're any better?" I grow curious at her statement. I'm most likely thinking too much into it, but maybe she's coming around after all.

"Have an awful night, Maxwell." There's no sign of laughter or humor in her voice.

"Goodnight to you too, Charlie." The conversation ends after my final words are spoken. Usually, she needs to have the last word, but after what just happened, I'm sure she's done for the night. Therefore, I just lie in bed fully awake, thinking about the partially naked girl next to me, completely unable to sleep...as if I could. The sun's setting and this is a vampire's prime time.